Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon the rookie question, but what is the advantage of 520 vs 530? Seems to me with 150+hp a 520 chain will stretch a lot. Is this the case?

I've already searched this forum and heard that it's better for a bike that will be tracked mostly rather than a bike that gets a lot of road use. I'm somewhat in between and don't mind replacing chains as needed, IF there is a significant advantage. Also, is it a bad idea to clutch wheelies with a 520 chain?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
has anyone ever snapped a chain clutching up a wheelie in 2nd on the freeway due to the 520 conversion?

other than the cost of 520's vs 530's is there another advantage? Rotating mass or anything like that?

·
R1-014 Dragon Squadron
539 Posts
has anyone ever snapped a chain clutching up a wheelie in 2nd on the freeway due to the 520 conversion?

Don't want to sound like a dick, but you're in the next city over from me and I go through Corona all the time. Do the stunting on a freeway somewhere else besides the 91 and the 15. I'm already getting flak from the CHP because of the Ruff Ryders and their lameness they pulled.. Don't need to be pulled over anymore for no reason.. Tired of it. Don't need people giving them more excuses..

Ok. Sorry for that rant.. Now to answer your question.. From my experience the R1's have enough power where you don't need to do the 520 conversion.. Try dropping a tooth on your front sprocket and going 2 up in the rear.. That'll make it even more easier for the front to come up.. You shouldn't have to even clutch wheelie.. My 07 wants to come up just with the throttle.. I'm sure the 08 is the same.

The 520's are strong chains. I had a DID X-ring on my 02 R1 and was going 160+ on the front straight at California speedway. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spectre, it's a long ride to work in LA when I do take the bike. Just for you I'll hold off til I pass the 55, how's that sound? Actually, what was the lameness the RR pulled? I haven't heard anything about it. In fact, I've been bikeless for the last 2 years until I bought my current bike a couple months ago. Does the CHP really pull you over just to check you out? I've NEVER been pulled over on a bike.

The truth is, I alread went -1 up front and asked the girlfriend to get me a +2 rear sprocket for christmas. Through my conversations with her though, I think she was talked into a 520 conversion and I want to know if i should return it and get the sprocket I planned on or not.

·
R1-014 Dragon Squadron
539 Posts
I feel you on the long ride into LA. I used to go from Riverside to Santa Monica and then from Riverside to Burbank.. I took the 60 into LA.. not the 91.

Over 5 months ago the RR's stopped traffic on one of the freeways just so they could all stunt on it.. It was in the newspapers and stuff like that. I haven't been pulled over in 3+ years on either of my R1's and a month after they did that I got ticketed twice and both officers said they were gunning for sportbikes because of what the RR's did..

I have been pulled over a couple other times for no reason (in my opinion anyways) and was let go with a "warning" Sucks. But in the end the chp/police can do what they want and if I'm doing 5 mph over the speed limit I'm still "breaking" the law..

Congrats on getting a bike.. I hate being bikeless.. Yesterday my battery was dead and I was pissed that I would have to drive to work, but my wife was kind enough and let me take her R6 into work.

The 520 really comes down to what you chose. I did it to my 02. I won't do it to my 07.. I put to many miles on bikes.. I don't like replacing chains all the time.. Well the 520 doesn't last as long as the 530, and I'm kinda bad with maintianing it to. :)

Anyhow enough rambling from me.. Being you're close we should go ride sometime.. My wife has her permit now and we're gunna start doing weekend rides, but nothing to fun for people who want to carve canyons.. She's just starting out and wants to take it slow right now..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.