Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon the rookie question, but what is the advantage of 520 vs 530? Seems to me with 150+hp a 520 chain will stretch a lot. Is this the case?

I've already searched this forum and heard that it's better for a bike that will be tracked mostly rather than a bike that gets a lot of road use. I'm somewhat in between and don't mind replacing chains as needed, IF there is a significant advantage. Also, is it a bad idea to clutch wheelies with a 520 chain?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
has anyone ever snapped a chain clutching up a wheelie in 2nd on the freeway due to the 520 conversion?

other than the cost of 520's vs 530's is there another advantage? Rotating mass or anything like that?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spectre, it's a long ride to work in LA when I do take the bike. Just for you I'll hold off til I pass the 55, how's that sound? Actually, what was the lameness the RR pulled? I haven't heard anything about it. In fact, I've been bikeless for the last 2 years until I bought my current bike a couple months ago. Does the CHP really pull you over just to check you out? I've NEVER been pulled over on a bike.

The truth is, I alread went -1 up front and asked the girlfriend to get me a +2 rear sprocket for christmas. Through my conversations with her though, I think she was talked into a 520 conversion and I want to know if i should return it and get the sprocket I planned on or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.