Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered Adrenaline Junkie
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sooo... I bought a new rear sprocket. The (Ebay) seller typo'd the part#, listed it as 210u-529-47p-ha. I accept responsability for not picking up on it sooner (they hit the '9' button instead of the '0' right next to it), it's actually 210u-520-47p-ha... I "assumed" :bash it was for a 530 chain (being closer than 520) :dundun: not even picking up on the typo until its arrival...

That being said, with the intro of the new 525 chains (best of both worlds, weight reduction & longevity?) what size sprockets do you have to run...? 520 because it wont fit on a 530 sprocket? I haven't really looked, but I dont imagine the major manufacturers are making 525 sprokets...

Or should I just sell it/trade it to someone for a +2 rear spocket in 530 pitch...? Or just do the 520 conversion piece-by-piece...?

:dunno

* And it is realllly light...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am running a 520 set up on my bike for the last 2 years now and have not had a problem yet I would recommend getting the RK 520 GXW chain thats what im running. I know guys running this on there drag bikes and other race bikes with no problems. You will be amazed how much lighter it is than the stock chain but its also way stronger.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
if you have 525 sprockets then you have to run a 525 chain. It's not exactly the "best" of both worlds though since it's not as light as a 520 or as strong as a 530. it's just in the middle. The current 520 setups are super strong though and lasting a long time on the 07 r1, the gsxr 1k's and so on. the key to making them last is taking care of them though. Unless you're into wheelies all the time, want a setup to last a very long time for commuting, etc then there really isn't a reason not to do a 520. Even a stealth 520 kit will last longer then a 525 alum kit.

the 525 setups are not new either. Every manufacturer makes them since they come stock on the gsxr 600 and 750 for the last few years. They have been around for a long time, but they aren't popular as most just go to a 520. Any questions just ask up.

Both sprockets and the chain must be the same pitch though. If one part is 525 then all the rest have to be 525. If one part is 530 then all the rest have to be 530, etc...Basically you can think of 520/525/530 as the width of the sprockets and chain. You want them to "mesh" perfectly when you install them and ride on them.

·
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanx Corey. I already knew though, the pitch sizings and so-on. I didnt know though, that there are 525 rear sprockets available. I've been snoopin around, browsing the intra-weeb & hadn't noticed the size option for rear sprockets (Driven has fronts)...

*and just now I quickly browsed MM and found no such beast, nor a chain...

:confused:

I think I'll just do the conversion...

·
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running a 520 set up on my bike for the last 2 years now and have not had a problem yet I would recommend getting the RK 520 GXW chain thats what im running. I know guys running this on there drag bikes and other race bikes with no problems. You will be amazed how much lighter it is than the stock chain but its also way stronger.
Yeah, the weight difference is definately there. The shipping weight listed on MotoMummy for the DID ZVM530 (same as stock basically) is 7lbs. The RK 520 chain weight is listed as 4lbs...

:fact Do the math, especially factoring in the weight reduction from lighter sprockets as well, you could drop almost 5lbs of rotating mass...

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
we don't sell them as they are not popular and nobody really asks for them. They all make them though. Most everyone does 520. We use to sell 525, but nobody buys them and even the manufacturers rarely sell them. The only guys that get them are the 600/750 guys that want oem gearing/size because they feel a 520 isn't strong enough (not true).

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
fishoutofwater: the weight of our chains are estimated since we do free shipping we don't weigh our products or really care about the weight as it's on us regardless. The weight is not 7lbs though for that chain. A full 520 kit is 7lbs and a full 520 kit is normally 8-9lbs. If you want exact weights we can get them, but yo ucan't go based on that. IMO 520 is the way to go. We don't even bother with 525's and many other dealers don't either.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
yup they are out there, but for a 600/750 the 520 kits are plenty strong. If it's used for commuting or something then it's fine. The difference between 520 and 525 will come down to maintenance since they are so close in terms of quality/performance/longevity.

·
SO FAST SO CLEAN
9,698 Posts
yup they are out there, but for a 600/750 the 520 kits are plenty strong. If it's used for commuting or something then it's fine. The difference between 520 and 525 will come down to maintenance since they are so close in terms of quality/performance/longevity.
That's good information to know. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.