Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dept. of Redundancy Dept.
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed this particular kit on their 05 R1?

http://store.58cycle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Custom+LED+R1+04-05

I'm thinking about buying it but they told me at 58cycles that I would need to dremel/grind the stock tailight assembly apart, put in the new piece and then glue it back together.

I'm deciding of this is worth doing and do you basically half to cut the piece in half then glue it back? Sounds like it.

It looks so good when done but my bike is only 2 weeks old :dunno

·
My D.O.C.
1,179 Posts
trendworks said:
Has anyone installed this particular kit on their 05 R1?

http://store.58cycle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Custom+LED+R1+04-05

I'm thinking about buying it but they told me at 58cycles that I would need to dremel/grind the stock tailight assembly apart, put in the new piece and then glue it back together.

I'm deciding of this is worth doing and do you basically half to cut the piece in half then glue it back? Sounds like it.

It looks so good when done but my bike is only 2 weeks old :dunno

I've got the VFXkit and I installed it about a week after I bought my bike....a lot of work and requires patience.

·
Born 2 Ride
96 Posts
Don't think about it twice, it's a must have.
Though I must agree that its installation isn't for people less adept to using tools.
It does require a lot of patience and of course time to be done.
Yes, you need a dremel with a fine saw attached, this is the hardest part, opening the casing.
A Thermal glue pistol to waterproof it once more.
You will also need a soldering iron and some soldering skills.
The instructions are quite good and easy to follow. Follow the link below
http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/INTEGRATORS/_04-_06_R1_Tail/_04-_06_r1_tail.htm
You can download the instructions from the same page.

I'm attaching a few pics taken during my installation

Attachments

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

Someone should sell the complete kit already done and you just send in the stock one as a core (for the next guy). I'm sure most people would go this route instead of doing it themselves.

·
Administrator
24,868 Posts
trendworks said:
Thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

Someone should sell the complete kit already done and you just send in the stock one as a core (for the next guy). I'm sure most people would go this route instead of doing it themselves.
There are places that sell a complete kit! All you do is swap out your brake light assembly. :fact

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks F16 and everyone who posted.
After reading all of this and other posts I decided against purchasing any of these products. I'm in Calif. so it could be a legal issue and on top of that this mod may screw up my warranty.

I am going to get some LEDs and these front blinkers:
http://www.watsendesign.com/products/current/R12004LEDBLINK/index.html

Anyone know if putting on all LEDs if they wil blink fast and if I will need to get the resistors or load equalizer?

·
I love asian girls....
90 Posts
i bought one of ebay for $80 as a whole unit.. just need to swap out the light... so far so good

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the clear alternatives unit and its worked great. I had the resistors it came with installed and the flashing was normal. But when I did the front signal mod they flash fast now. I guess its time for a trick flasher.

·
NO TITLE NEEDED.
571 Posts
I compared my friends 05 stock light to my clear alternative light and the stock light was ever so slightly brighter. Almost like the stock was brighter in just the lighted areas (due to there being less lights but the ones there are brighter) but the clear alternatives light was a smoother red across the board. You would probably have to compare them in person to understand what I'm trying to say. We were in a hurry so I didn't get a chance to take a pic but I will try to next time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts