Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted a 5pw engine into a 5jj but used wiring loom and everything else too?

Tia
Blown 5jj owner

·
Registered
694 Posts
Did you come across many issues? Also is it true that the only main difference between the 2 is the head and the obvious of injectors
yes, the head and throttle bodies are the main difference. The only issue I came across is the front left motor mount is unusable. I have been racing with it out so it doesn’t bother anything. Make sure you use the 02-03 throttle cables and all of the 02-03 sensors so it’s plug and play with the 02-03 wiring harness. What is your plan on doing the conversion? Do you have a complete 02-03 engine or are you going to swap the head?

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes, the head and throttle bodies are the main difference. The only issue I came across is the front left motor mount is unusable. I have been racing with it out so it doesn’t bother anything. Make sure you use the 02-03 throttle cables and all of the 02-03 sensors so it’s plug and play with the 02-03 wiring harness. What is your plan on doing the conversion? Do you have a complete 02-03 engine or are you going to swap the head?
Not 100% sure yet what was it about the front mount was unusable? Wrong place ect
Planning on using full 5 PW wiring harness and cables ect

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not 100% sure yet what was it about the front mount was unusable? Wrong place ect
The bolt hole is in a different location. On a 5JJ head the bolt hole is at the front of the head and on a 5PW head the bolt hole is on the side of the head. If it bothers you that the mount is unusable you can weld a piece of aluminum stock to the front of the head and tap it for the correct size bolt. Also, on the right side of the head there is a motor mount plate that uses three allen head screws to secure it to the head, the plate needs to be removed but the three bolt holes need to be closed and sealed. I just used the original three bolts with some thread compound and used a flapper sanding disc to remove a little of the screw head so they would clear the frame.

Make sure you get the gauges and the headlight wiring harness as well.

If you’re installing a complete 5PW engine. The 5PW engine has a deeper oil pan and you will have to swap the 5JJ pan and pickup on to the 5PW engine so you can use the 5JJ exhaust header. Otherwise you’re exhaust won’t line up.

then you will need an external fuel pump and either plumb your tank for a fuel return line or buy a new petcock that has a feed line and a return line all in one.

·
Registered
694 Posts
One thing I forgot, get the ignition lock. You will need the wiring section of it. Swap it into your 5JJ ignition lock so you won’t need another key.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bolt hole is in a different location. On a 5JJ head the bolt hole is at the front of the head and on a 5PW head the bolt hole is on the side of the head. If it bothers you that the mount is unusable you can weld a piece of aluminum stock to the front of the head and tap it for the correct size bolt. Also, on the right side of the head there is a motor mount plate that uses three allen head screws to secure it to the head, the plate needs to be removed but the three bolt holes need to be closed and sealed. I just used the original three bolts with some thread compound and used a flapper sanding disc to remove a little of the screw head so they would clear the frame.

Make sure you get the gauges and the headlight wiring harness as well.

If you’re installing a complete 5PW engine. The 5PW engine has a deeper oil pan and you will have to swap the 5JJ pan and pickup on to the 5PW engine so you can use the 5JJ exhaust header. Otherwise you’re exhaust won’t line up.

then you will need an external fuel pump and either plumb your tank for a fuel return line or buy a new petcock that has a feed line and a return line all in one.
Cheers for the info mate 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts