Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Cant turn right king
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2000 Honda F4 and sold it to my buddy then got a 99 R1. Every once in a while i'll hop back onto the F4 and i notice that shit... its jsut so mcuh easier to turn... He almost always beats me going up hwy 9 (twisties). the r1 is about 6 icnhes taller then the f4 and if i remember jsut about the same weight.... i've always heard that the 600's are more nimble and i was woundering... Y?...
(my r1 is mad faster.... just a fyi... hahahahhahahhaahhah)

·
R1 parking only
189 Posts
There are several variables, however, I'll just point out two things...

1) Power doesn't come into play in handling ability of a bike comparison (track, or twisties). What does have an effect on the handling is bike’s geometry setting, suspension setting, tire profile, wheel base, size of the engine, (affect handling due to heavier rotating mass) tendency to cause the bike to stand up (or Gyro effect) when leaning/leaned, thus requiring more forceful input on the handlebar, and few others factors which I've left out.

2) Rider's ability (Experience)
This has been talked about numerous times already and it's given. A more experienced rider on a smaller, less powerful bike can and will out ride a bigger more powerful bike, track or on your favorite twisties.

The power only come into play in straight-line. Don't get me wrong, R1 is a great handling bike, however, when compared bike for bike, rider to rider, there are so many variables that can affect who will be in front when it's all said and done.

·
1 Sick Individual
3,106 Posts
Its funny but now that I have ridden an R6 on the track and the R1, I dont know why I need a liter bike for track use at all. I run 5 sec faster lap times on the R6. The R1 is WAY faster in a straight line but in the twisties the R6 flips around so fast and easy. Plus I get on the throttle a lot sooner coming out of corners and the exit speed is way higher. Less HP to the ground causes less tire slipping.

Not to mention the R6 is a race bike and way lighter than the R1. :)

Earlier this season I was on a small track and a freekin 250 passed me up when I was on the R1........got to the straight and of course I tore him up. Back in the twisties....he never got off the throttle. Next time out the R6 tore him up all over though :rock

·
It's a racer now
147 Posts
Well I've raced an R6 and R1 and my lap times are quicker on my R1 but only slightly while the R6 squirts off the corners as the R1 struggles for traction I find I can corner just as fast on both.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
BlueDevil said:
Its funny but now that I have ridden an R6 on the track and the R1, I dont know why I need a liter bike for track use at all. I run 5 sec faster lap times on the R6. The R1 is WAY faster in a straight line but in the twisties the R6 flips around so fast and easy. Plus I get on the throttle a lot sooner coming out of corners and the exit speed is way higher. Less HP to the ground causes less tire slipping.

Not to mention the R6 is a race bike and way lighter than the R1. :)

Earlier this season I was on a small track and a freekin 250 passed me up when I was on the R1........got to the straight and of course I tore him up. Back in the twisties....he never got off the throttle. Next time out the R6 tore him up all over though :rock
:iamwithst

I could not have said it better....BlueDevil is right... 100% with the tire slipping...

PS good stuff with the R6 BuleDevil... tear that 250 a new one...:rock

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I'm definitely faster on my R6 on the track or on real twisty roads. I took a blast down my favorite twisties this weekend and was probably 10 mph faster on pretty much every corner while riding my R6. Might just be that I lack the skills to fully use a litre bike and the R6's super flickability and more forgiving nature allow me to ride faster with more confidence...

- BA

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have the same feelings about the R1 and R6. A friend of mine rides an R6 and I love it. I wanted one, but got my 03 R1 for the price of an R6 brand new (I knew the dealer). So, I couldn't pass that deal up. But, I always think about owning an R6 instead. So, I guess the question is, would you sell/trade your R1 for an R6 (in my case an 03 R1 for an 03 R6)?:dunno

·
Registered
331 Posts
The R6 simply inspires greater rider confidence. There is a reason that newbies are told not to get an R1. I work at a Yamaha dealership and there isn't a person here who won't tell you that the R6 is the most amazing handling machine on the road. I weighs less, has more managable power, and a shorter wheel base. Just easier...that's all.

·
Ride it, don't eat it...
176 Posts
PyRo,

Your "old" F4 is so much easier to ride(fast) and as people have mentioned already, on the twisties, is more managable as long as you keep it on boil. My R6 was mental up/down Hwy 9, 35, and 84 and I find it takes a bit more ability(read: throttle restraint, braking points after longer straights, etc.) to do the same things on my R1. See you up at Alice's Restaurant...

·
Registered
633 Posts
BlueDevil said:
I would never sell my R1. Now if U get a chance to have both....go for it. But I would never give it up.
Yeah, I don't think I can sell the 1. Just wondering if anyone would. I am working on getting the 03 R6 though.

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
DaoTan said:
yup i always felt iwas faster in the twisties on the 6
Wow, I thought I was the only person to ride faster on my R6...
The R6 definitely gives you greater confidence while leaned over, and I never worried about the rear slipping.
In my opinion, the R1 is easier to ride on the street/highway (more power down low), but the R6 is just awesome in the twisties!!
I wish I would have kept my R6 to keep the R1 company...

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
The R6 is an awsome package.. I'd never get rid of my R1 for one, but if I could swing it, I'd have both!!! FOR SURE....:thumbup

1 - 20 of 31 Posts