Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remove mirrors, front blinker, rear blinkers and lic. plate braket, rear pegs, and tool kit. Or you can keep all that and spend $3000.00 on aftermarket wheels!:D

·
MK Racers 51-50
560 Posts
You are right the GiXXers in the mirror don't matter anyway!
HA!:fork

·
L8R2U
21,412 Posts
Speaking of weight. Has anyone weighed or know the difference between stock or aftermarket exhaust on a 04?

·
Have you been bitten yet?
937 Posts
Dont mean to kick your trike in a ditch, but 1 lb of unsprung weight is equal to about 6lbs of sprung. as the wheel spins it has huge amounts of rotational inertia making direction changes slower and reducing the efectiveness of the compression and rebound in your suspension. If you could lose 8lbs of weight in rims it would be like trimming 48 lbs of the rest of the bike to get a similar feel. Also who says you cant take off all that crap AND get the wheels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
totally agree with blue widow, but if i could just shave 8lbs. off my fat ass, that would be a like total a total of 64 lbs. wow...

·
Have you been bitten yet?
937 Posts
racefandan said:
totally agree with blue widow, but if i could just shave 8lbs. off my fat ass, that would be a like total a total of 64 lbs. wow...
Nope you count as sprung weight so 8lbs=8lbs.:riding

*edit* Unless you are refering to 8 wheels 8 misc crap and 8 self.:yesnod

·
Mad Scientist
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
racefandan said:
Hey, if you can shave 8 lbs off my fat ass then that's 8lbs off my fat ass and I'll be better off for it, I'll leave all yall in the dust!!!

·
Insanity Please
2,200 Posts
Two Mothers Ti slip-ons save about 1.1 lbs, just for example.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,449 Posts
Not very benificial riding around without mirrors, t-signals especially if the popo catches ya and yes he will eventually.:fact So either spend the $$$ on wheels or pay the fines.

BD

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
Blue Widow said:
Dont mean to kick your trike in a ditch, but 1 lb of unsprung weight is equal to about 6lbs of sprung. as the wheel spins it has huge amounts of rotational inertia making direction changes slower and reducing the efectiveness of the compression and rebound in your suspension. If you could lose 8lbs of weight in rims it would be like trimming 48 lbs of the rest of the bike to get a similar feel. Also who says you cant take off all that crap AND get the wheels.
I agree, the difference is amazing . . . and when combined with a 520 conversion & gearing . . . its like night & day difference (even the bearings used in good rims makes a noticeable difference) :thumbup

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Blue Widow said:

you are right, but it depends where it weighs less. lost weight in the rim makes much more of a difference then lost weight in the hub. check out the article in sportrider on wheels and their polar moment of inertia.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,449 Posts
911919 said:
you are right, but it depends where it weighs less. lost weight in the rim makes much more of a difference then lost weight in the hub. check out the article in sportrider on wheels and their polar moment of inertia.
Yes it stands to reason that weight reduction in the outer areas is more benificial than say the hub containing the cush drive/front rotors in terms of rotational mass but it is a reduction benificial to suspension either way.

BD

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also, isn't it better to loose weight up top, higher in the motorcycle, for lower center of mass???

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
KNEEDY R1 said:
Speaking of weight. Has anyone weighed or know the difference between stock or aftermarket exhaust on a 04?
;)

Attachments

·
WUZ-UP !
4,355 Posts
Blue Widow said:
:iamwithst Well said........:beer :thumbup

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts

·
MOTORCYCLE NAZI
2,448 Posts
Blue Widow said:
I love this board

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Anybody notice that with the Akra full system you don't have to remove the exhaust to change the oil filter like on the Graves/TiForce ? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts