Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone, been lurking for a while.

A few months ago, I purchased a 2001 R1 with just 8,500 miles on the odometer. Basically all stock and in great condition. Only mods to the bike are a Zero Gravity wind screen and a nice set of frame sliders.

I am in the process of going through the bike to check everything out and make sure all is well. Mostly just general maintenance type of stuff. The only actual change I will be making is an Ivan's jet kit.

Here is my to-do list:
Check valve clearances
Oil change
Coolant change
Ivan's
Spark plugs
Carb sync
Air filter

I have the Motion Pro carb sync tool and have ordered all of the gaskets, fluids, misc. parts that I will need. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. I've got the bike down to the point where I am ready to remove the radiator, carbs, and header.

Attachments

· Is there anybody out there?
4,474 Posts
That bike is sick! Nice find. I have a '00 also and love it! Most of the time valves are checked, they are in spec. I'm interested to find out if your's are. Definitely change fluids along with brake fluid. Don't know if you need new plugs but I'd clean them up a bit. As far as Ivan's kit, I've tried one in the past with a slip on and didn't feel any difference at all. If it were me, I'd find a nice slip on and be happy. Keep us updated.

Mark

ps I have an extra set of Ivan's needles in the garage. Needles only, no jets. If you're interested, I'll give them to you for cheap. Also, where do you live?

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
Beautiful find. I would definitely recommend getting a Scotts damper, I left the Scotts on my '00 when I sold it because it REALLY needed it. The strong midrange gets the front light quite often, and not always at the most opportune times, the damper controls the frontend upon 'landing'. The only real issue that comes up often enough to call a problem, would be jumping out of 2nd gear after very hard use. Other than that they're an extremely durable bike IMO. I sold mine with 66k miles, still running strong. Good Luck with it !

· Is there anybody out there?
4,474 Posts
Beautiful find. I would definitely recommend getting a Scotts damper, I left the Scotts on my '00 when I sold it because it REALLY needed it. The strong midrange gets the front light quite often, and not always at the most opportune times, the damper controls the frontend upon 'landing'. The only real issue that comes up often enough to call a problem, would be jumping out of 2nd gear after very hard use. Other than that they're an extremely durable bike IMO. I sold mine with 66k miles, still running strong. Good Luck with it !
:stpd:

Definitely need a damper. I've also been running a Scotts on mine for the last decade or so. 2nd gear problem can be avoided by pre-loading the shift lever before pulling in the clutch. Will slide right into 2nd gear without rounding off the dogs.

Mark

· In the slow lane
416 Posts
Very clean good looking bike. 8500 miles she's barely broke in. Plenty of good times ahead for you. Have fun and be safe out there!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That bike is sick! Nice find. I have a '00 also and love it! Most of the time valves are checked, they are in spec. I'm interested to find out if your's are. Definitely change fluids along with brake fluid. Don't know if you need new plugs but I'd clean them up a bit. As far as Ivan's kit, I've tried one in the past with a slip on and didn't feel any difference at all. If it were me, I'd find a nice slip on and be happy. Keep us updated.

Mark

ps I have an extra set of Ivan's needles in the garage. Needles only, no jets. If you're interested, I'll give them to you for cheap. Also, where do you live?
I've already got the Ivan's kit sitting on my workbench, thank you for the offer though. I'm not expecting any huge difference, I will be happy with just a little better throttle response, little extra low-end. Doing the jet kit was really more of a "well....since I'm already in there" thing. I'm in Virginia.

If I come across a good deal on a Scotts I will snag one up. It's on my radar, but I'm not willing to drop $400+ on one.

:stpd:

Definitely need a damper. I've also been running a Scotts on mine for the last decade or so. 2nd gear problem can be avoided by pre-loading the shift lever before pulling in the clutch. Will slide right into 2nd gear without rounding off the dogs.

Mark
Good tip! Thanks!

Very clean good looking bike. 8500 miles she's barely broke in. Plenty of good times ahead for you. Have fun and be safe out there!
:)

Welcome to the club :) looks like they removed the lic plate holder which is a normal mod most do :nono: here's one of mine and enjoy !:boobies
Ah, I forgot to mention that. It has a very nice color-matched undertail as well.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I actually had a 2000 R1 brand new way back when. It was stolen unfortunately. Felt like the worst day of my life and I never really got over it. Been through a handful of other bikes since then and that one was always my favorite. Was really happy to stumble across this one, it's almost like a time capsule!

· Track Day Checkers!
24 Posts
That thing looks clean! Mine has 50k miles, but I did have to break down and shell out for the transmission rebuild.

Looks like you're on the right track. I found a Scotts Damper on ebay and then sent it back to them for a rebuild. They returned it to me like new - even threw in a manual and stickers!

One other mod I'd recommend is the PVC-throttle change to shorten the throttle twist.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so I got a chance to do some more work on it today.

Got the carbs off...left the throttle cables attached to the carbs and disconnected them at the handlebar....pretty easy.

Installed the Ivan's Jet Kit. Pretty simple really, needles were super easy to swap out. For whatever reason, there were 134 mains in it, replaced those with the 130s that came in the Ivan's kit. Mixture screws were set to only around 1 and a half turns out....strange. Set them to 3 and a half turns out per the instructions. Replaced the float bowl gaskets with brand new ones, one of them appeared to be weeping slightly. Overall.....simple.

Removed the AIS system. Also pretty easy to do, hardest part was yanking those elbows out of the front of the head. Twisting while prying seems to have worked the best. I will be using a helicoil kit to plug those holes with M8 bolts.

Got the valve cover off and checked the valve clearances. Every single one was perfect. All intake valves were just over .11mm and all exhaust valves were just over .21mm. Worth doing anyway just for my peace of mind. Went back together with a new valve cover gasket.

Swapped out the spark plugs for the OEM NGKs, it had NGK iridiums in it.

So, now, it's basically ready to go back together. There isn't even much to clean, I don't think this bike has ever even seen rain, it all looks new. Will be installing new header gaskets, new OEM air filter, and one or two OEM bolts that were missing. Last step will be syncing the carbs and an oil change. I like Amsoil, so I am using their oil and filter.

I hope I can keep this bike in this condition for a LONG, LONG time. Seems like it would be pretty darn hard to find another one like this.

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
Those AIS tube fittings WERE a b!tch to remove, I remember that like yesterday even though it was 10+ yrs. ago.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update....sealed up the holes that were left from the AIS system in the front of the cylinder head. Per Ivan's recommendation, I used an 8mm heli-coil kit to tap the holes, installed the heli-coils, and then used some black M8x16mm hex head bolts to plug them up. Was easy to do and looks factory.

If you stick your finger in the exhaust ports behind that hole, you can plug it up from the back side with the tip of your finger. This allows you to blow compressed air into the hole to get the shavings from the tap and the tab from the heli-coil out of there without worrying about getting anything down into the valve/cylinder.

Edit: After looking around online, I figured out why it had 134 mains and the mixture screws were set to 1 and a half turns out. It had a dynojet kit in it, which also means that the pilot jets were replaced and need to go back to stock. The needles I took out also had 5 clip positions on them. Ordered stock pilot jets today, so I guess progress will be slow until those show up in the mail. All I can really do now is re-install the header, anti-seize the EXUP valve, and adjust the EXUP cables. The tail section can go back on at this point as well I suppose.

So...mini dynojet kit review...the low end didn't seem quite right from how I remember it on a stock bike. Hopefully I will get that back plus a little with the new setup. Top end seemed pretty much how I remember. I don't think the dynojet kit is really the right one for a stock setup. Probably better with a full exhaust.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last couple of bits I needed showed up in the mail a couple of days ago. OEM pilot jets and new o-rings for the coolant tubes above the valve cover.

Finished up the last few things last night, including syncing the carbs. Just need to put the side and bottom fairings back on it. Throttle response is ridiculous! Can't wait to get out for a ride.

· Premium Member
39,036 Posts
Try a flo commander on the carbs if you want even smoother carbs. Search for it on the forum under MartinC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.