2020 Yamaha YZF-R1/Raven
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some of us might enjoy this article:

👍

·
Banned
420 Posts
Generally speaking [forum] in general, cough, speaking about buying guides and used goes something like this:
Crashed: Walk away from it.
Buy: Only a deal you can't resist is a parts bike for the other one are now two bikes? Lost are the triple trees/frame/plastic/what the aluminum parts the plastic didn't save. Engine is fine, hardware, etc.

Used: They might trick you, you have to come back with a trick of your own.
Buy: More like, 'hi, I can't make it, let me call you when I can come see it.' Then show up unannounced, now you check the bike out.
The better deal?: Okay, so you stood at the back of the bike with a cold, overnight engine to start up first thing. Seller might know the puff signal [why the sell] and warms it up [before you show up] so you do not see it in other words. A puff of smoke comes out as you now notice a bad set of valve guides not holding the oil back being so loose, the lip of the seal opens as the valve cocks and moves to let the oil go onto the tulip of the valve, has dripped on the piston with an open valve; or the puddle sits between head and valve and is now washed off; mixed with the gas; out comes a puff of smoke and clears = Worn valve guides. Balance that with a new head, or repair with guides/valves/cut seats on the head of the bike you bought?

The Price: Seller looks up a used price and sees 'a quality trade-in on the dealer floor,' almost showroom at this price is to match that bike as showroom, minimal patina, etc. That high end number is for; our overhead needed to finance/store/commissions/etc., plus we do not take in high milers, rough looking, but very clean; is that price stated.
The Negotiation: You see that same price and it's a private seller with zip for overhead, not in showroom level; at that same price. Throw up the trade-in price and now aim for the lower range so as not to insult the seller, but point out a more reasonable price, cash in hand kind of show the wad being the real deal to get the deal.

The Ideal buy: This is where you've been chasing this bike and came across the showroom bike. What's a grand more or less choosing the low miler/less patina/no crash... Grab it at any price.
The walk away: So it's nice sure, but it's been dropped and/or in bad shape but takes a few to get it up and running. It's the now or never, meaning, not too many around, the parts search is on, got a deal I couldn't refuse, who cares if you break even or just keep it and it's not about the money... You have a project bike and have one is the point.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thought some of us might enjoy this article:

👍
Appreciate the post. I picked up an 01’ in Nov from a generous friend and have been upgrading parts, cleaning everything, and servicing it for the past two months. Hope to get it back on the road by March. Happy to see I got a solid mode year according to the article.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts