Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just got my 98 r1, and where the digital temp is displayed reads Lo? it will switch back and forth between this and the temperature reading. What does the "Lo" stand for?
thanks

·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,287 Posts
Lo means exactly that... The bike is cold the temp is low... Don't ride until it reads an actual temp reading... It's fairly important to let the bike warm up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. I thought so, i just wanted to make sure it wasnt low coolant or something.
thanks

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
what do u mean "switch back and forth"?
when u start the bike , it shows "LO" , but once the engine is hot , it should never show "LO" again ,as long as the engine runs .
it will show low again if u let theengine to cool down (without running).
if it shows "LO" back and forth ,even when the engine is hot , u might have bad connection to the temp sensor , or your coolant level is very low in the radiator.

·
O'Gradys Paint
1,290 Posts
Lo means exactly that... The bike is cold the temp is low... Don't ride until it reads an actual temp reading... It's fairly important to let the bike warm up.
Is it?........is it really? How many revolutions or strokes do the pistons go through with cold sludgy oil before the guage reads 40 degrees C.? You're probably better to maintain 3 or 4 thousand and get some heat built quicker while your pistons are scraping against the cylinder walls. No starting and redlining, that would just be silly, but start it, get on it and keep the rpms in the low 3-4K range as you go for a ride, once you have a temp reading feel free to open it up, you will be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts