Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all, I have a problem with the front brake on my 98 R1, when I apply even pressure the lever feels grabby, instead of smooth. You can gently apply pressure and see the lever stick before moving... kind of in a notchy fashion. At speed you dont seem to notice it but at walking pace coming to a stop you sometimes have to squeeze quite hard then it suddenly goes past the binding and stops suddenly. Any idea what might be the cause I dont want to strip things apart that I do not need to. Thanks

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
the grease on the lever is old and tried out. very common.

remove the lever and bolt it pivot on. Clean them (brake or carb cleaner works well. Clean the master cylinder where the lever contacts it. Thats at the piston face, and the "arms" the lever actually bolts to.

apply a small ammount of grease to the pivot bolt, top and bottom of the lever where it contactsthe M/C, and the nub on the lever that contacts the piston. Presto you will be back to the nice progressive lever feel the bike had when new.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine, and something I do very often to customers bikes.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
glad I could help, and THANK YOU for posting once you got it fixed!!

everyone askes how to fix it, but very few report back on what fixed it so we can all learn from it!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey guys i know this is an old post but thank god for archives.. I just found this thread and tried what you said and it worked for me too!!!!:jump :rock so now my brake went from grabbing and jerking to a sudden stop.. to nice and smooth..Thanks again

·
R1 4 MAL
380 Posts
Sometimes the 'flat' end of the piston of the master cylinder wears because of the lever working against it. I smoothed mine flat again and polished it for a smooth surface. Also rebuilt with fresh grease, all is smooth again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.