Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike seems too have some electrical gremlins that have been making themselves more and more known over the past couple months. It first started with an infamous "tach tango." My tach jumps from indicated rpm to 0 to 8500 over and over. I did a search and found that this might have to do with the exup malfunctioning but wasnt exactly sure. Next, I will be riding my bike and it seems like the lights (headlight, dash cluster) all of a sudden get considerably brighter and then go back to normal again. Finally, at biketoberfest I had my left lowbeam headlight go out, but the left high beam would still work. I figured it was a burnt bulb so when I got home I bought two new headlight bulbs.(H4 60/55w) The left headlight wiring harness looked perfectly fine, however the right had been melted on the top and was showing bare metal connection. After cleaning the connections and putting in the new bulbs, the left low beam still did not work, but the left highbeam and right headlight (both high and low) did. I rode it for another day and realized that at some point the right low beam had quit working as well. When I went to go ride later that night I flipped the highbeams on, only to have them die after about 20 sec. Now I have absolutely no headlights and have no idea what the problem is. I went through all electrical connections and fuses under the seat, left/right fairings, and under the nose, only to find nothing that looked suspicious. So I guess my question is how can I stop the tach tango and why dont my headlights work?!?...........Any comments or helpful info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok...so I looked at all the connections on the bike and put them back together with dialectric grease but still no headlights. Is it possible that maybe my slip on exhaust is making my bike read the tach error code? I cant think of anything else. I looked at the service maunel and still found no help........any one??

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
The 8k error code should be from the fuel level sensor;

If the small 2 wire green plug hooked under the fuel tank is not er...unhooked,it might simply be that the wire inside the tank is broken;

Ride the bike until the tank is almost empty (or emty it!),flip it over and remove the switch (you can lean it against a wall vertically,make sure it wont slip)...you"ll see the wire,just solder it back on.

As for the headlights problem,its rather hard to say;a loose light socket can bring all kind of problem like burning bulbs or even a melted plastic plug just like yours does.

It can also be enough to blow the relays of the lights and even create rectifier/regulator-battery problems.

·
7 More Days 'til the '09 Debut
888 Posts
+1 MartinC; and I no your slip-on exhaust wouldn't cause any such problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts