Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bikes, cars, and women
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Yamaha R1 that I bought with about 5800 miles on it and I have put about 4000 additional miles on it. Well evry so often when getting on it in second gear it would act like it was in gear until about 4k+ rpm then it would over rev for a split second(like it went to neutral)then act like it was back in gear. This only happened maybe once a month. Well I let a friend of mine ride it while I rode his Gixxer 1000 and he was trying to do some wheelies on it. When we stopped he told me that it had done the smae thing to him and I told him that it happens every so often. Well....after I got back on the bike it rode fine until I gassed it in second and it completely felt like it went from 2nd to neutral back to 2nd. Now anytime I push it hard in second it lets go above 4K rpm but *only* in second. 1st,3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th all seem fine and second acts just fine unless I give it more then 3/4 throttle and then it lets go. Anyone have this happen to their R1 and what did you have to get done to fix it???

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Kyle, I had the same problem.

the dog's that hold it in gear are worn and cause it to slip in and out of gear and everytime it slips it makes it alot worse.

the first time this happened to me was with 7000 klm on it and I had to replace 3 gears, selector fork, shift shaft and the shift drum, I got the bike back and after about 1000 klm and $1600AUD it has started doing it again.

in my opinion this should be a re-call, the box just can't handle the herb's

other suggested re-calls:

those ****ty damn rearsets that bend everytime you do a stand up mono

the crap valve guides that make that ticking noise.

they are a great bike to ride but I can't keep up with the assosiated costs, test riding the GSXR this weekend

Rob

:machinegu

·
Registered
83 Posts

Rearsets bend when you stand up???
I spend alot of time standing up just cruising along to get some airflow to the junk to cool down.

How much do you weigh if you dont mind me askin to bend the rearsets?

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have an 01 r1 with maddddd miles like 45,000 or some bullshit lol and mine does the same shit bad lol i just like get through 2nd as fast as i can but i got all new gears and dogs but now i just need help swappin the shit out :/

·
Registered
69 Posts
How much do you weigh if you dont mind me askin to bend the rearsets?[/QUOTE]

about 70 kgs back then, im 100 now thou!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed the traay ion my 99 cause 2nd gear was slippin and now i have a raddle sound but when it warms up it goes away what could it be?HIT ME UP IF SOME ONE KNOWS

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 98 was doing exactly the same thing, I put new 2nd and 6th gears in, and new shift fork while it was apart. It works fine now, Some people get the new gears 'undercut' before they put them in, just to make sure they don't POP out again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i hear ya

[/QUOTE]

the crap valve guides that make that ticking noise.

:machinegu[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling... I hate pulling up at the lights and people look out their car windows with a look like "gee wiz, put some oil in it man!"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well,just a little to late it ended up blowin up crank bearins when out...But thanks anyway if u know anyone that want to buy the bike hit me up 832 257 1960 clear title only 27k on the motor.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts