Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
No Fear...
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever race a 999, 999s or 999r with a 04-05 R1?

I'm just curious of the outcome.

I had a 996 in 04' and had some R1 try to race me but I knew they would own me so what was the point.

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
Depends on what kind of racing.

Stock for stock a new R1 will pretty much own a 999 in a straight line. Although, when my 999 was stock, I raced an 03 R1 and It was neck and neck.

On the track, it all depends on the rider and what you personally will go faster on.

The R1 is a faster bike, period. But on the Track the 999 is a very effective tool, and is an easy bike to ride. Most riders would go faster on a 999 than on an R1.

On the track we're talking tenths here by the way. Not a blowout. Bikes are close on the track. But in a drag race, there is no comparison once past 140mph.

·
No Fear...
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question for you Turbo...

What advice can you give me to pass along to my friend who owns a 749 dark.

I tell you, I road this thing and it was not liking me a bit. My friend and I are always neck to neck enjoying our bikes in the canyons, but not my bud on his 749.

He claims it is hard to get it to lean and I must say after riding it, I agree. What is he doing wrong? Does he need to be further back on it or what? Hope you can help I think he is getting discouraged. It is a nice looking bike.

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,248 Posts
icon said:

I tell you, I road this thing and it was not liking me a bit. My friend and I are always neck to neck enjoying our bikes in the canyons, but not my bud on his 749.

He claims it is hard to get it to lean and I must say after riding it, I agree. What is he doing wrong? Does he need to be further back on it or what? Hope you can help I think he is getting discouraged. It is a nice looking bike.
Low tire pressure will make it harder to initiate a turn.

Mark
99 R1

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
I was at the track satuday (watching,still injured)and a guy was there on a track prepped 749.....freakin awesome lookin bike.

Looked like he could put it anywhere he wanted on the track...it was prolly down a good 35 hp to my buddies zx10 but they were nose to tail.

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
icon said:

I'm no setup expert, but it sounds to me like he could use a little ride height in the rear.

Tell him to go to his local dealer and have them raise the forks in the clamps, and to raise the rear just a tad. That should give him the turn in that he wants.

Take a look at my motor guys link when you get a chance. Unfortunately, I don't think these settings apply to the 749 dark, but it should give him an idea of what he needs to achieve.

http://www.section8superbike.com/749-999suspension.php

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
Originally posted by Turbo329
But in a drag race, there is no comparison once past 140mph.

:D Come on Turbo. My buddy had a brand new 999s that I had a chance to ride and race against. I was sooo disappointed by the lack of low end from the twin, having ridden custom choppers that had crazy low end. My bike is definitely not stock, but the walking begins in second gear. His new bike, the '05 MV is much more fun to ride. More power, similar handling, good brakes. The 999s brakes are pretty crazy though. Better know what your doing before grabbing em.

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
fiveoh said:
:D Come on Turbo. My buddy had a brand new 999s that I had a chance to ride and race against. I was sooo disappointed by the lack of low end from the twin, having ridden custom choppers that had crazy low end. My bike is definitely not stock, but the walking begins in second gear. His new bike, the '05 MV is much more fun to ride. More power, similar handling, good brakes. The 999s brakes are pretty crazy though. Better know what your doing before grabbing em.
Once I got used to launching it better, I was able to hang until about 140mph.

Roll on's is a different story. The duc will pull about 1 bike length and then the japs will leave it like like it's standing still.

Trust me, I used to do this every weekend. :lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.