Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the A and R race baffles and punched out the cat. Holy Sh*t. Sounds incredible. May even be too much. Nice deep idle is what I like the best...:)

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
I finally broke down and ordered mine yesterday, I will be running it with a gutted cat that I bought from another member. I was tired on waiting for the y pipes to come available and I do like the look of the whole stock set up. I also have an order coming from McCoy's with the Custom LED Complete rear light with integrated signals and some front flushies. It is about time I get modding this thing :rant

·
25,747 Posts
Thanks Bogie, you just supported my decision. How bad is the gurgling and popping unpon deceleration?

·
25,747 Posts
It is my understanding that the smog block offs will elminate most the of problem and then a PCIII will clear up the rest. Is this basically how you see it?

·
Banned
324 Posts
It is my understanding that the smog block offs will elminate most the of problem and then a PCIII will clear up the rest. Is this basically how you see it?

Yup. :thumbup

I would say 85 to 90% is eliminated by the block offs and when I get a PCIII it should be really smooth then. :fact

·
Track days here I come
701 Posts
Plan on doing mine this winter. If anyone has good instructions on installing the smog plates please let me know. Wheatmans pictures are all down in the other how-to.

·
Speed Is My Life...
271 Posts
truly some good money spent. and with the pcIII you get nice smooth power with no popping. :)

·
Devious Riders M.C.
290 Posts
I have an 02' R1. I installed a A&R baffle also. I love the sound by the way! Should I get the PCIII also? I know the idle isn't steady. I am planning on buying a K&N air filter also. I checked the dynojet website, and the maps are either stock exhaust or brand specific. What Map did you guys use for the A& R baffles? What else should I do? or can I do? Thanks in Advance!!!!

·
Fly Low
2,036 Posts
Yup they are great man! i kept my cat but i cut the pipes 4 1/2 inches. Loud!!

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
i was going to pay a lot of $$$$$ for a full system and PCIII. But I can't wait to do this mod. with the race baffles and gutting the cat. thanks again for the info, this forum is the deal.

i'm going to dyno stock and then afterwards when the tuner does a map, I'll post some charts here one day.

·
25,747 Posts
A tip not in the instructions for anyone doing the baffles. Put the seam at the top.

I am getting ready to do this in the next couple of days. I assume you are speaking of the seam in the baffle and it's orientation to the top of the can. :dunno How does this tip help :dunno

·
Letzroll
1,122 Posts
I am getting ready to do this in the next couple of days. I assume you are speaking of the seam in the baffle and it's orientation to the top of the can. :dunno How does this tip help :dunno
In looks I guess ? I plan to install the baffles soon myself and it will probably look better not seeing the seams...or if you do see them it will look more aligned being at the top.

·
Got gold?
224 Posts
Yes, its for looks, the seam will show if on the bottom. You may not care but you would have to rip open the cans and swap the baffles side to side to correct. Test fit when you get them, they work one of two ways, seam up or seam down. Might as well do seam up. This is not mentioned in the instructions. Here are mine with seam up, not visible.:)

·
25,747 Posts
Got it :yesnod thanks for the advice ... something like that would have driven me nuts after the fact :rant

1 - 20 of 300 Posts