Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. As some of you might know i lowsided over a year ago and my bike has been sitting ever since un completed and un started. (Money problems)The oil is over a year old, battery is dead, you know the story. Anyway, its ready to go now, what precautions do i need to take before starting the beast again? I'm assuming an oil change, fresh gas, a battery charge obviously, but what else? Should i drain the oil and replace with new before even starting it? I am assuming that every crevice that should be lubricated with oil in the engine is bone ass dry, and im expecting knocking for at least a few seconds after sitting this long before the oil gets circulating. What do some of you folks recommend i do? Thanks!

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Im glad you asked this question!!!!!!!! The R6 I am rebuilding is in the same state. Minus the gas and battery. The gas tank was removed and the battery unplugged so the bike could,can be rebuilt. But the oil is still in the motor. When I am done with the rebuild I was going to drain the oil, new filter and run her for about 100 miles and then drain that oil, replace with fresh oil and a new filter. Is this the right thing to do?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i would just do a fresh tuneup plugs, filter air/gas, gas treatment and good
gas so that way if it doesnt start u can eliminate those variables!!

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Fresh spark plugs.... forgot about that one.

·
4um ModR8r
10,426 Posts
Good advice. Be sure to empty the gas tank first though. Start with fresh gas and a fresh oil change. DO NOT roll on the throttle as you are cranking it for the first time. You want that engine to start up/crank over at the slowest speed possible until the oil pressure comes up and lubricate all those parts that haven't had oil on them in a while unless you've done a total rebuild with lithium grease. When it kicks over, it's prolly gonna sound like hell for less than a minute. If it doesn't quiet down after 1 minute, you got problems. Oil and filters are cheap.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Good advice. Be sure to empty the gas tank first though. Start with fresh gas and a fresh oil change. DO NOT roll on the throttle as you are cranking it for the first time. You want that engine to start up/crank over at the slowest speed possible until the oil pressure comes up and lubricate all those parts that haven't had oil on them in a while unless you've done a total rebuild with lithium grease. When it kicks over, it's prolly gonna sound like hell for less than a minute. If it doesn't quiet down after 1 minute, you got problems. Oil and filters are cheap.

I'm still going to call you!!!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
sorry for the off topic but omg those are nice legs goobr!!!!!

·
4um ModR8r
10,426 Posts

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
ANYTHING for family Bro,,,you know that. :)

Why thank-you mad. I do what I can to keep them in shape. :)

Why in the Hell am I just seeing these now!!!!!!! How long have we been family?!

·
4um ModR8r
10,426 Posts
Why in the Hell am I just seeing these now!!!!!!! How long have we been family?!
You're how old? Shit man,,,, I remember when your mom's water broke with you. Papa was runnin' around hollerin' "oh shit, oh shit,,, Marge!!!!!!!!!!!" LOLOL,, I'll never forget it. LOLOLOL

You gotta 'member this 'un man. :)

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
You're how old? Shit man,,,, I remember when your mom's water broke with you. Papa was runnin' around hollerin' "oh shit, oh shit,,, Marge!!!!!!!!!!!" LOLOL,, I'll never forget it. LOLOLOL

You gotta 'member this 'un man. :)

Is that the same girl?

·
rehab is for quitters
418 Posts
I am in the same boat with being deployed and will restart after sitting for over a year. I plan to take mine to a shop I trust when I am on mid-tour leave and pick her up when I get home. He told me he would change oil, filter, new battery, plugs, lube cables, lube chain, change fork oil, and have her ready for 250 to 300. Plan to do leave in March and pick her up in June. Its either that or drop off as soon as I get back and he said he would do it in in a day or two.

·
One 1 to Rule Them All
4,623 Posts
Helpful hint in addition to those mentioned:

While you have the plugs out spray WD-40 into the plug holes (use the tube that comes with the can). About a half second or so shot per hole. Then crank the engine over for about 3 or 4 seconds just after you spray while the plugs are out.

This will pre-lube the dry cylinders, prevent scoring the cylinders and prevent gas from blowing by and contaminating the oil when you do start it.

After replacing the plugs, leave the caps off, ensure the bike is straight up and down (not on the kickstand) and crank the engine for another 10-15 seconds. This will pump oil to most areas of the motor with out having it start. Replace the caps and start as normal.

P.S. Spark plugs don't degrade over time from not using them, if they were good when you stored the bike they still will be.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the good info and pictures gents! ;) I will get do these things asap. I have about 6,000 miles on the plugs in it now, i replaced them at 9,000, and it has 15,000 on it. Should i change them again? Thanks!

·
Sportin Pimp Glasses
2,406 Posts
Wow! Thanks for all the good info and pictures gents! ;) I will get do these things asap. I have about 6,000 miles on the plugs in it now, i replaced them at 9,000, and it has 15,000 on it. Should i change them again? Thanks!
If you take them out to spray WD40 into the holes like Peg said, then you should look at them and see how they look. Of course since you already have them out it's just as easy to put new ones in and they aren't that expensive. If you aren't messing with them then you should be ok and just have to replace them when they are due on their regular schedule. If I were you I would also check the coolant to see if it needs to be replaced especially if it's still the original and more than three years old. Don't forget to lube and check your chain and do a thorough check of the whole bike.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Helpful hint in addition to those mentioned:

While you have the plugs out spray WD-40 into the plug holes (use the tube that comes with the can). About a half second or so shot per hole. Then crank the engine over for about 3 or 4 seconds just after you spray while the plugs are out.

This will pre-lube the dry cylinders, prevent scoring the cylinders and prevent gas from blowing by and contaminating the oil when you do start it.

After replacing the plugs, leave the caps off, ensure the bike is straight up and down (not on the kickstand) and crank the engine for another 10-15 seconds. This will pump oil to most areas of the motor with out having it start. Replace the caps and start as normal.

P.S. Spark plugs don't degrade over time from not using them, if they were good when you stored the bike they still will be.

:thumbup

·
Registered
441 Posts
with the plugs out put it in 4th gear and push it up and down the driveway to get the oil to circulate, and mix with any condensation and get some circulation. The wd-40 sounds like a good idea too. but i would push it in gear a little first before cranking, it is easier if the plugs are out to release the compression.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know i brought this thread back from the dead, and no, i still havnt got it running. (God damn job) Anywho, im getting ready to do this tommorow, and im taking it to mph computrack this weekend to get the frame etc. checked, and probably get my suspension setup to get ready for this season. :) Anyway, should i drop the old oil before even starting it? Or start it with the old oil, let it get warm and thin, then drain it? Thanks everyone! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.