Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone:beer

Ive already posted this in the mechanical help section but no one posted so here goes. I just got a yamaha tank bag which has six magnets. Four of which attach to the metal part of the tank. The front of the bag has a clip which is supposed to go to a special d-ring which you install in the front of the gas tank cover. The only problem is, my Scotts Steering damper totally covers that bolt hole so I cant install the d-ring. Should I just cut the front strap and ride? Ive read on other posts where people have glued magnets under the plastic tank cover. Has anyone had any negative effects with this method? and where can I get the magnets? Thanks in advance for any advice! I dont want to return it because its a 20% restocking fee plus shipping:nforc:

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
I also heard about sticking the magnets inside the plastics, I would just stick it on the tank first with the four magnets and take it for a controlled test. If it works and doesn't move cut the rest. i am sure someone with a similiar situation will give ytou some tips.

I prefer a tail bag, the tank is mine and it feels weird not having it to myself, cause I hang-off like a monkey sometimes :rock

:thumbup

It'll be good to get some feedback on this topic, there are similiar threads maybe run a search.

:corn

:fork Ride Safe :boobies

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I hear you on the tail bag. I have read the thread where that guy loves his tailbag but since I already got it Im kinda stuck. I also hear you on the tank being yours. Just by sitting on the bike parked it feels pretty obstructed with the tank bag. I guess that its really only for commuting and not hitting the canyons. Thanks for the advice. I think I will take it for a controlled ride.

·
9,925 Posts
Yeah I hear you on the tail bag. I have read the thread where that guy loves his tailbag but since I already got it Im kinda stuck. I also hear you on the tank being yours. Just by sitting on the bike parked it feels pretty obstructed with the tank bag. I guess that its really only for commuting and not hitting the canyons. Thanks for the advice. I think I will take it for a controlled ride.

It's a pleasure, I know space is a bit of a problem and I still occasionally on the longer runs ride with a tail and a backpack. The tank bag is practical and like you said your not going to hit the twisties with it. For commuting I am sure just the four magnets should do the job.

Let me know how the test went and if it stuck.

:jump

·
9,925 Posts
any recommended tail bags? and pics? thx
I had mine for a couple of years, so I took it from bike to bike and just modded the straps to fit. I'll see if they still make something similiar or if I can finde something newer and better.

Most standard taibags with a bit of adjustment should fit with the luggage straps.

I am away from home for another week or so then I will see what I can find for you and I'll post some pics. It's about time I get a new one. My back-pack and tailbag is Fox about three years old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.