Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1941 - 1960 of 2025 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,941
Holy hell man.
I spent the last couple weeks reading from start to page 97. It's real exciting to watch everything unfold, to read through your initial plans and then watch it all come together. Lots of pictures, lots of videos, a hell of a lot of information, and a ton of support. I've learned quite a bit from reading through this, about what I knew I wanted to do to mine, and a loooooong list of new ideas you gave me along the way. Plus, I'm real happy almost everything was explained here. ****ing outstanding job. And thank you for the thread, it really explains a lot.

Okay so I only have a couple questions (I'm still new, I know).

1.) Going back to the Dyno, and talking about tuning, I admit I have absolutely zero experience in that field, but that is something I want to do to mine once I get a Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust. May I ask if someone can provide an explanation of how the Dyno and Tuning works? I read that you were talking about applying changes to fields of sorts but i couldn't really tell what you were referencing to (I suppose it would help if I've ever actually seen a tune). I do know that after reading through everything I will go for as close to 13.1 AFR across the board as possible, if I read that correctly to. But again, I've no clue.

@Tad158 is the man when it comes to tuning. Hell, he built his own datalogger.

2.) How are your temps looking? Have you considered possibly some sort of aftermarket cooling system? I ask because I've noticed how hot these things run (I think we talked about it in our messages), and wonder what changes you've made to keep yours happy.

If you ever find your way in SoCal it would be cool to meet up. Same for everyone else.
I have not done anything special to keep my bike cool other the the ECU flash that includes turning the fans on at a lower temp. Bike stays pretty. Cool while moving.

Oh and I forgot, one more thing:
Did anyone ever figure out the R6 Starter thing?
Nope. Never figured this out. Best best is to buy an OEM starter. I tried looking up companies that rebuild them and the one I found stated that they do nothing special to make them more robust.

Thanks for the compliments. A lot of money, time, sweat, and evil wife eyes went into this bike.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,261 Posts
Nope. Never figured this out. Best best is to buy an OEM starter. I tried looking up companies that rebuild them and the one I found stated that they do nothing special to make them more robust.
thanks for confirming. old man asked about once or twice, received similar responses from 'non-bike' guys at the shop.

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,674 Posts
Who dis guy? You back now?

If so...Pitt race next weekend....:)

·
10,674 Posts
Ok...be safe.

·
Love that Crossplane...
1,403 Posts
Do it! And then let me know how it works! I’m interested in one, just never really got around to getting serious about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
10,674 Posts
You have a full system already right?

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,950
You have a full system already right?
Yes. I have Graves header waiting to be installed.

Do it! And then let me know how it works! I’m interested in one, just never really got around to getting serious about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My concern is not being able to keep the bike at operational temp when riding on the street.

·
10,674 Posts
Why...That is what a thermostat is for...shouldn't be an issue.

That's like saying you are worried it won't get to temp near freezing.

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,952
Why...That is what a thermostat is for...shouldn't be an issue.

That's like saying you are worried it won't get to temp near freezing.
A member that I bought a lot of my parts from that came off his race bike stated that a friend of his would have a hard time getting his bike up to temp when riding on the street.

This is in Southern California.

·
10,674 Posts
Did he not run a thermostat?

·
10,674 Posts
Get a helmet with flex or equivalent technology. They massively help reduce concussions. Bell race star for example.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,261 Posts
well, if the helmet broke as a result of saving your brain bucket, i'd say it worked just fine. :D

but yes, concussions are rather shitty, and its not always just during the impact itself.

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,957
Get a helmet with flex or equivalent technology. They massively help reduce concussions. Bell race star for example.
well, if the helmet broke as a result of saving your brain bucket, i'd say it worked just fine. :D

but yes, concussions are rather shitty, and its not always just during the impact itself.
Yeah. I'm on TBI number 3. Jumping out of airplanes for a living can be painful.

I'll be on my 4th Shoei X series. This will be my first X14.

I also need street tires. Going with Power RS.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,261 Posts
Yeah. I'm on TBI number 3. Jumping out of airplanes for a living can be painful.
i wish i could jump off an airplane, i'd have a better excuse.

1941 - 1960 of 2025 Posts