Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Seeing BLUE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( I knew that this time would come but I just tried to delay the inevitable as long as I could, but it's almost time for me to face the music and store my pride a joy! :(

Since this is the first time I have ever had a bike let alone an R1, I'm am calling out to all my fellow riders for your storing tips.

I'm not sure where to store my R1, I have a garage but it's not heated and where I'm from It gets very cold in the winter (lower than -30C). My other option is to store it in my Restaurant, but I'm afraid it will be too humid to keep it there for my R1's own good. Help!

I know about filling the gas right up, but do I go past the filter line in the tank? I'll also be using a fuel stabilizer, and change the oil and putting a cloth in the opening of the exhaust pipe so nothing crawls in there. I'm going to check my tires, take my battery out and leave it in the house and connect a trickle charger to it.

That's pretty much all I can think of to do to it. Oh and I'm also going to cover it with a bed sheet so that no dust gets on it.

Please if anyone has any more to add to what I'm doing to get my R1 ready for storage it would greatly be appreciated!:(

This is a very sad time in my life....

thanks in advance to all that respond.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
It's really sad for each and every of us that have to live through the Winter.

I myself will have the bike standing in a somewhat heated bicycle room. I think. I'm not sure yet. Otherwise I'll just put it in my apartment. I've got spare room for it. I'd do that if I were you.

We've got another front of hot air coming up from the middle east (probably the heat from the guns :D).. so it will be okay to ride during those days. But soon winter will hit hard and never go back to above freezing again. Atleast not until Late jan, feb .. or even march.

And I myself have just bought a bike.. and I can't even ride it! Oh well. I'll spend the winter making it bad ass :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
You should probably be ok storing it in your garage. I would make sure to put something under your tires, like cardboard or something. We have another thread going about winterizing bikes. Maybe you can find some tips there. Sounds like you got it covered. I noticed you are changing your oil before putting it away. I was always curious about that. Is it better to just leave the oil in and change it come spring? I always left my oil in knowing I would have to change it come first of the year. Just curious. :confused:

·
Seeing BLUE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek:

it's probably one of the most important thing that needs to be done for bike storage any longer than one month.

Old oil has combustion by products and other junk that can cause real performance problems if you don't change the oil before you store your bike.

It's best to change the oil and the oil filter. BUT make sure you do this with a warm engine not a cold one. Once you change the oil and filter run your bike for a little to distribute the new oil. When you do change the oil use a cheaper oil, not that premo stuff cause when you take your bike out next season your gonna drain that oil and fill it with the good stuff, the filter doesn't need to be changed though.

So why do you have to put something under you tires?

:)

·
w00t
2,513 Posts
so after you winterize your bike, what do you have to do to unwinterize it? change the oil (if you havent done it already) mayby new spark plugs? check your tires to make srue no flat spots if its not on a stand? you can run your bike with the gas stuff in it? or do you have to change the gas at the beging of the season?
thanks for any help,

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I could go on and on man...but there are a lot of threads on the forum about this subject....with probably better info that what I've got to say...

do a search...

but here are some basics.

1. Lube chain.
2. Empty tank
3. Lube electrical connectors...(with an electrostatic lube, if that's what it's called)
4. put it on stands so you don't get a flat spot in your tires.
5. I heard filling the combustion chamber with oil helps but I have yet to figure out how to do it and why...

like I said do a search...

·
MOTORCYCLE NAZI
2,448 Posts
sell it and get ready for the new one...:rock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.