Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all..

i sold my bike 馃榿

but my friend have a r1 2013 he says the bike top speed is 280kmh

my bike was 2011 and gets 300kmh easy

any one knows why my friend bike is top speed 280kmh??? any advices??

280 kph=174mph

i owned two R1's (04 and 06). both reached 189mph, never more (on the speedometer)

Registered
Does he have a speedometer correction device? Stock speedo is so far off at the top end it鈥檚 not even close to actual speed...

An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
Compare speedometer reading to GPS reading.

Reactions: 1202067

Registered
'08 r1
Most speedometers are optimistic(fast) by 6-8% so a reading of 299 kph would mean an actual speed of about 280. The only way to be sure is with a GPS. A speedo corrector can also get you close.

Mark
Even gps is measuring as the crow flies and cannot account for movement other than on flat terrain. Don't expect gps to be dead nut accurate on the dragon for example. When you are covering ground on a grade, you are still covering that ground and the question becomes how do you measure speed, revolutions of the tire, or progress on a map?

If you can go to a flat spot, like the flats in utah or something, you can set up a speed healer and get really close to the gps, but, like every other measurement, it's still an approximation.

I guess with the uncertainty principle, if you were lost you could know exactly how fast you were going, but I think that's the only way. (This last paragraph is of course hyperbole)

Administrator
If there are good road markers where you ride I guess you could ride b*tch and hit a stopwatch as you pass the markers and do a little math
This is kinda how I set my error on my SpeedoDRD correction device. I stopped at a mile marker on the expressway, set my trip meter to zero, rode for 50 miles and stopped at that mile marker. Odometer said 51.8 miles. Did a quick calculation and set the error on the speedodrd. It was dead nuts then... within reason, of course, as @1202067 stated above.

Registered
Fool, dolt, boob!...Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle tells us that it is impossible, to simultaneously and with unlimited accuracy, predict the exact position and momentum of a particle--the more you know of one the less certain you can be of the other. Accordingly, since the Uncertainty Principle only deals with particles at the subatomic-quantum level, it offers little applicability to any given R1's top speed! (Werner Heisenberg stole his idea for his Uncertainty Principle from one of my 5th grade book reports) -Written with jest of course馃

Still, it's an legitimate question. You would expect similar bikes to have similar top speeds, give or take a little, but 19 kmh is a pretty big difference. You didn't mention any mods either bike had, but there are so many different variables it's hard to say why there is this difference. I wouldn't place much stock in what speedos say, as they are off as was mentioned.
Before you sold your bike did you ever run your bike against his (or hers)-assuming there was a long and straight and safe enough road to do it on (not that I would ever consider that prudent or safe)?
280kph..299kph fast as hell either way!

The speedo reading is one benchmark. I had 2 bikes, both did 189mph on speedo; it鈥檚 a ballpark estimate for comparison purposes

the time in quarter mile is good for comparison purposes

Registered
If it hasn鈥檛 been mentioned as yet, the first thing to verify is the rolling circumference measurement of the rear tyre,differing profile ratios will affect readings,not to forget that at those speeds even worn down tread depths will cause untrue readings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts