Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I fix my R1
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read some hype on the internet (so you know it must be true - ha) about adding Acetone to your gas to get better gas mileage. I figured...what the hell, i'll try it. I tried it in my car first (since I love my bike more) and no adverse effects, in fact it imediately began running smoother. The gas mileage increase didn't happen but it did run smoother. SO...I decided to try it on my bike (07 R1). I noticed the bike was more responsive, felt like it had more power, and the exhaust was clean. What I mean by the exhaust being "clean", I mean it had no exhaust smell and was cooler. I imagine this has something to do with the how the fuel is being burned, maybe more of the fuel is being burned or something.

1LongR1, anyone who drag races, or anyone know why?

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
This has been discussed before...and said in teh long run it's bad.

·
I fix my R1
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put in a little more than 1 fluid oz. per tank. I like it and plan on continuing to use it. It's not much so I can't see the harm in it and I like the results. :dunno

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Sabian,

What are the long term effects that could be harmful at that ratio? I have ran 110 octane race fuel too and I would say the effects are about the same without the $8/gal price tag.
so your standard engine r1 ran better with 110 octane fuel?:bs

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Sabian,

What are the long term effects that could be harmful at that ratio? I have ran 110 octane race fuel too and I would say the effects are about the same without the $8/gal price tag.
Acetone can harm rubber seals, gaskets, among other little important deals inside an engine.

....and no offense to what you think you saw, but unless you are running a built motor, that 110 octane fuel you dropped into your motor just drained your wallet and drained your gas mileage a ltitle faster.

Higher octane fuel is solely there for the use as a pre-detonation inhibitor. The higher the octane, the harder it is to ignite, so a high compression engine that could possibly ignite 87 octane fuel just under compression alone, will require a spark (good thing) from a higher (ie 91) octane rated fuel. For a standard built motor, running something as high as 93, let alone a race fuel at 110 will only cause your engine to work harder at igniting it. Not to mention its probably a leaded fuel and if you have a cat, you can clog that shit out of it.

Bottom line...higher octane does nothing for a stock motor....nothing at all.

of course, it's a pain in the ass to convince people of this that "believe" they saw improvements. The only things you may have mistaken the improvements for POSSIBLY were the additives in the fuel that cleaned some shit out of your motor....making it run "better".

For the 5000 feet comment...you actually need less octane (which is why you never see 84 octane in Iowa, but you do see it in CO.) Oh...and I have lived in both the midwest (Iowa) and Colorado springs...both of which for about half my life.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts

·
I fix my R1
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasn't trying to start an argument:fact I already said it doesn't improve gas mileage per my testing (as well as snopes.com). All I know for FACT, is that my car runs better with it and my bike appears to as well. As far as acetone being corrosive, yeah it is...its a solvent, but so is gasoline. I'm not soaking rubber parts in it and are you trying to tell me at that level of concentration it is going to harm any parts in the engine? I don't have any cats to clog either. I'm not trying to convince anyone else to try it, but I will keep using it and I will let you know in 20k miles if I notice any harmful effects. Sorry I don't have a dyno in my garage, but i'm not the type of person that tries to trick myself into thinking something makes my bike perform better if it doesn't. If I didn't think it did then I wouldn't do it and move the F on.

·
Banned
526 Posts
Yes it does. Maybe you would know if you lived above 5,000 ft. :dundun:

Temperature - Generally, the hotter the ambient air and engine coolant, the greater the octane requirement.
Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.
Humidity - The drier the air, the greater the octane requirement. The recommendations that vehicle manufacturers give are for normal- to low-humidity levels.

·
Sportin Pimp Glasses
2,406 Posts
Using acetone is similar to using ethanol mixed gas. It works and may burn cleaner but most companies have found that it does do harm to the engine components over the life of the vehicle.

·
"It was me!!!"
3,072 Posts
By ADDING Acetone, you are in effect removing some of the fuel, (but not the air) so all you are doing is leaning the mixture out a little (acetone burns very slow so slow its probably isnt burnt untill its pushed out the exhaust, hence the different smell. ) the lean mix does make the bike run with a little more HP, but it is really really bad on your bike.or they would lean it out for you.

if you ever owned a 2stroke it would make more sense, same thing you change your oil mix, and it effects the fuel mix..

·
I fix my R1
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Read this...from CHEVRON....you know the company that actually makes the fuel....

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/gas_qanda/api_octane.shtml
I read it. Just some observations:

Temperature - Generally, the hotter the ambient air and engine coolant, the greater the octane requirement.

I don't know about yours, but my R1 runs hot.

Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

The ECU definitely adjusts a/f for barometic pressure, and thus the effect is small.

Humidity - The drier the air, the greater the octane requirement.

I live in a very dry climate.

Method of driving - Rapid acceleration and heavy loading..., may result in a greater octane requirement.

I accelerate rapidly.

I'm sure where I got the fuel probably has some additives in the fuel...that may have helped.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You could always be the R1Forum guinea pig. Run it in every tank and once a year give us an update as to weather your bike shit itself yet.

If you're really looking for a power upgrade, there's another thread going about how to port and polish your heads with the engine running...

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
Humidity - The drier the air, the greater the octane requirement. The recommendations that vehicle manufacturers give are for normal- to low-humidity levels.
I wasn't trying to start an argument:fact I already said it doesn't improve gas mileage per my testing (as well as snopes.com). All I know for FACT, is that my car runs better with it and my bike appears to as well. As far as acetone being corrosive, yeah it is...its a solvent, but so is gasoline. I'm not soaking rubber parts in it and are you trying to tell me at that level of concentration it is going to harm any parts in the engine? I don't have any cats to clog either. I'm not trying to convince anyone else to try it, but I will keep using it and I will let you know in 20k miles if I notice any harmful effects. Sorry I don't have a dyno in my garage, but i'm not the type of person that tries to trick myself into thinking something makes my bike perform better if it doesn't. If I didn't think it did then I wouldn't do it and move the F on.
He's called your bluff. :vanish What is your FACT btw?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.