Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The internet is getting so lame man.. so many scams all over the god-damned place...

anyhow- here's one that's been around for quite a while, but apparently with a new twist:

There's a real scummy spyware program called PurityScan which attaches itself to your computer and continually bombards you with popups- at a frightening rate. :boom

Anyhow- this little piece of shiit is different- there used to be a WINSERVN.EXE file which you could delete- but now it has a file called something difference.

It used to be removable with an uninstall file- THE UNINSTALL FILE RE-INSTALLS IT ON YOUR COMPUTER

It used to be fixable by going into your registry via REGEDIT in the startup tab- there was a PURITYSCAN entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES_SOFTWARE which could be deleted- now it apparently has an entry somewhere else!!!

I'm just giving everyone a fair warning- this shit is MALICIOUS- my ad-aware AND spybot programs are allegedly "up to date" and while they detect the entries SOMETIMES, I now have a situation where both programs literally find nothing, and yet popups are still flying up on to my screen!!!

Pretty shitty huh???

Anyhow- be aware, this crap is going around- I swear, we should all hire a fuucking lawyer and have a huge class action lawsuit to stop shit like this from happening- it is RIDICULOUS>

If anyone knows some clever ways to get this malicious piece of shit OFF of my computer, by all means fire away.

thanks
scud

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP

BUMP

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Thanks for the warning man... :thumbup

Btw, I just did a quick search about it, you should also try searching for "Winservs.exe", and make sure your startup folder doesn't contain any of those files.

If you really wants to get rid of anything with "Winservs.exe" or "Winservn.exe", go into your registry and serach for any entries that has them and remove/delete it.

:)

·
Wow.....
198 Posts
Hey, I use Adaware AND another freeware program called HijackThis. It is an awesome little thing, that will search your registry for loading programs including sypware, web loads e.t.c. When you run it, it will show you a list of everything that loads, and gives you the option of deleting it or not. I wouldn't recommend it to PC novices, but you sound like you have an idea on how PC's work - so give it a shot. It does also give generic explanations of what each line does.

Search off google for HiJackThis - let us know what you think of it. It's worked wonders on the few pc's I've needed it.

Cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
I feel you scud I just got hit with it last night some many popups I thought I was playing a shooting game:boom

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hey 1bad-> Follow a link off one that says "wanna get rid of popups" -> if it brings you to some piece of shit called "JimmySurf" then sorry boss- you have what I have- the PurityScan piece of shit- it is essentially black mail- you get bombarbed by their popups and have to buy their product to get rid of their popups- unreal huh!

Regarding the WINSERVS/WINSERVN deal: Val-> if i were to simply remove anything from the registry with this, could I potentially remove something I don't actually want to? I always get a bit nervous when messing with the registry- it's something that you really have to be cautious of fuucking with...

Lastly -> MSLatter-> I'm using adAware and Spybot...BOTH of the programs SOMETIMES catch the registry entry for the PurityScan- AND they remove it- however it keeps coming BACK somehow and I don't understand how- this is what is killing me- like how can I permanently take this ****ing thing off of there!>? Any ideas- it is pretty wild- like if the "phantom" entry is running (the one that doesn't appear in registry NOR in spybot or adAware) I still get the damned popups- nothing I can do- do you think this hiJack software will actually find the hidden one?

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Re: ...

scud said:
Regarding the WINSERVS/WINSERVN deal: Val-> if i were to simply remove anything from the registry with this, could I potentially remove something I don't actually want to? I always get a bit nervous when messing with the registry- it's something that you really have to be cautious of fuucking with...
Well, I totally understand what you mean by messing up the registry. But for "winservs.exe" and "winservn.exe", you don't have to worry about deleting anything wrong, cause these two files are not suppose to be there, plus they were added by that stupid PurityScan program.

Check this out...

Btw, next time if you worry about damaging the registry, you can always back up the registry first. But for this one, you don't have to worry about it, just delete anything you find with "winservs" and "winservn". :yesnod

·
Wow.....
198 Posts
Scud,

I can't promise you anything :) But you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. It's done wonders for me - HiJackThis.....check it out! I'd understand your worrying about installing something you're not sure about, but it doesn't really install on your PC. It's a little EXE that runs - tiny footprint. I'm curious to see if it works as well for you as it has me.....so let us know :)

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Spybot Search and Destroy

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DID YOU READ THE POST????

I HAVE SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY -> THATS THE POINT- IT DOES NOT FUUCKING DESTROY IT!!!!

That's my whole point of this thread- this piece of shit attaches itself to some anonymous piece of your registry and systematically FUUCKS with you with these popups- this shit should be illegal- it is a sin!

If anyone has some other trick and has experienced this, by all means- let me know!

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Why dont you post this question in the computer part of the forum!!!! You may get some better answers!!!!! Secondly install the Hijackthis and your problem will be solved!!!! quit being some conspiracy theorist and just do it!!!!!

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey asshole-= If I was at home at my computer I would have done it already- Don't be such an aggressive ass, or as most members know already, I will have to come verbally lash you and then bitch slap you with my dick as usual...

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
scud said:
Hey asshole-= If I was at home at my computer I would have done it already- Don't be such an aggressive ass, or as most members know already, I will have to come verbally lash you and then bitch slap you with my dick as usual...

You my friend are a complete TOOL!!! Get a life and while your doing that read up on some knowledge about computers and the such!!!

The answer was simple.......POST IT IN THE COMPUTER GURU SECTION and you will recieve good information as to what to do!

Secondly if you want to start a flame war, well bring it!

Attachments

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's the point dude - I do have a life, and no time to worry about all this computer tech-geek bullshit- I figure if someone was unfortunate to go through it before, like I am now, maybe they'd be kind enough to share some insight on getting rid of it without being an asshole about it...

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
This is a pretty easy problem to fix, download Ad-Aware from lavasoftusa.com, itll fix all your current problems. Its free....

And I think I saw someone here recommend spybot, thats good too, best to really clean up shit is install both and run both to clean your system.

Then to stop furture spyware and adware shit being installed on your computer, try to reduce the number of times you download and install active x components from random web sites, if your using kazaa switch to kazaa lite or a torrent client, and dont ever open any email attachments unless its an image and only if the file extention shows its only an image. Hell, if you dont expect an image from a friend, dont open any attachments period.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got hit with that already. I simply restored the computer to the day before as soon as I noticed the pop-ups. Problem solved.

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't explain this any clearer...

Guys- first, thanks for the input- BUT, I cannot make this any clearer:

I ALREADY HAVE SPYBOT AND I ALREADY HAVE AD-AWARE- AND THEY ARE UP TO DATE!!!

THEY DO NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM- THIS PIECE OF SHIT IS RUNNING A REGISTRY GHOST AND I CANNOT FIND IT-NOR CAN THE SPYWARE SOFTWARE!!!!

I'm gonna try the HiJackThis software- and if that doesn't work, I don't know what else to do...

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
Re: I can't explain this any clearer...

Wow...that's the most action this place has had in a while.

Everybody needs to chill out...everyone.

Scud, hijackthis hasn't failed me yet, when Ad-Aware and Spybot has failed to find the problem. I'm pretty confident it will fix your problem. Be careful using it. Not everything it finds is bad.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

scud said:
I don't know what else to do...
There's always fdisk, it fixes everything. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts