Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· UK needs more bikers
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has probably come up hundreds of times, so I apologise now. I want to change the handlebars on my 06 R1 but am not sure which is the best and most reasonably priced. I know they are all expensive and please don't say change the bike, it ain't happening. Too many mods and parts made for it. I did have a pair of Rapidartnz handlebars on the bike which are 25mm higher and 25mm facing back. They were more comfortable but, still if you got caught in traffic, I would get pain and numbness. I had them on the bike for about 5 years I think, then one day I was pulling into the drive and the left hand handlebar snapped and I nearly dropped the bike and my leg slipped and nearly ripped myself a bigger arsehole. Phew!!!
Now I have started to buy Coolncomfy, Topyoke, fatbar risers and an extended clutch cable but I was browsing on the Net today and saw a system by Apex and it made me think that the system I am buying will change the look of the bike too much. So now I am having second thoughts. Bollocks.....
So to my question, which is the best system and which ones gives the best comfort as I get caught in a lot of heavy traffic all the time. Don't have a car. No! I am still not selling the bike. Love to hear from people that have done conversions please as I can't decide now.

· Banned
284 Posts
Fwiw, the only draw back to me with these is on track days it kinda feels like the bars are in the wrong place like too high up when I'm tucked down.

Also I found when crushing on the freeway or town I move my feet forward on the pegs which sets my body more upright and doesn't put as much pressure on my hands

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· If speed kills quit taking it
1,670 Posts
Curious about this topic myself - would like to raise my bars and take a bit of pressure off my wrists. Do a lot of heavy mileage touring weekends - around 1000 miles over 2 or 3 days - involving lots of twisty backroads and (as little as possible but still some necessary) highway riding.

Have a friend using Helibars on his ZX12 and he loves them if that's any help.

· 0-Jailtime in 2.9 seconds
249 Posts
Subscribing to this one...
I'm planning on changing the bars on my 03 as well. I commute on mine every day and finding it hard to get get 100% comfy on my bike.
Also planning on modding my seat a bit, but I think my bars need to be higher as well.

· Sportbikes rock!
127 Posts
I have used a pair of Apex Manufacturing adjustable clip-ons on several different bikes and have liked them. You may need longer cables depending upon how far you move them from stock.

I like the Apex bars because they are so adjustable whereas Helibars are not. The one adjustment that I really like on the Apex bars is the bar angle - they use a cam/pin system that allows for about 8 different angles (including flat).

We all like different things though and good luck finding a pair that meets your needs.

· 0-Jailtime in 2.9 seconds
249 Posts
My R1 is getting close to landing on the classifieds.. man I love this bike but it just doesn't fit me as well as I hoped. This saddens me as I've always wanted this bike.
Definitely hunting for a set of Apex bars now!

The only bike I would consider trading mine for would be an older Blade. (04/05 model)...

· UK needs more bikers
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must admit I am starting to like the Apex bars, means now I have to sell the coolncomfy Topyoke, fatbar risers and extended clutch cable, could be hard. Thanks guys for your input. Just need to find Apex bars in the UK, trouble is here they so much mark up on stuff.

· Why does my R1 eat me?
281 Posts
I ran heli-bars on my '07 R1. Worked great and got rid of the downward angle of the clipons that made the bike uncomfortable after 20 minutes. I could also reuse the clutch cable, brake lines and throttle cables. The only drawback is that they're pretty expensive for a fixed position replacement clipon.

I've had Apex adjustable clipons on several bikes and they are great for the money. You have to be careful getting the riser version as you may encounter clearance issues with the tank and/or fairing though. The nice thing about Apex is the adjustability. Rotating the bar adjusts the amount of downward angle and then you tighten everything down. If you want more angle for the track then by all means adjust away. If you need a more neutral position it's no problem.

Replacement bars are cheap too, $15 iirc so if you ever damage one it's easy to replace.

I put a set of their 3" riser clipons on a Speed Triple. I had an almost unlimited amount of adjustments I could make with the only restriction being the tank.

· Faster!!!
99 Posts
The Gilles Variobars can adjust on multiple planes. They can adjust forward and backward as well as the angle to which the handle itself sits from the forks. If you need more elevation, they sell risers to go with them as well. I nave been very happy with them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.