Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanna know if others have had small
Issues with getting off the seat on their 15-up R1? The seat seems very wide compared to others. Anyone else got advice or techniques they use ?
222DE194-A257-41D1-8997-98D684734FB2.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
24,642 Posts
Buy race plastics and a race seat.

·
Venom X/O
25,094 Posts
It’s more than just the seat. It’s your mental. You’re body is up off the bike, chest included. You need to slide your butt over, get your chest down, and get that shoulder down. Got more pics?

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,039 Posts
It’s more than just the seat. It’s your mental. You’re body is up off the bike, chest included. You need to slide your butt over, get your chest down, and get that shoulder down. Got more pics?
More of this. Suggestion I gave a friend at a trackday, and he got much better, real quick: put your face into the turn, lead with your head, let the bike follow you and be light on the grips. It's not a wrestling match. :)

·
Registered
2008 r1
739 Posts
I could be speaking out of turn here, but, may I suggest you practice 'kissing the mirror'. This will get your chest lower like gear is talking about. May I also suggest that you keep your weight on the foot pegs so you can slide half a cheek off when you need to.

The advice is free, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Venom X/O
25,094 Posts
I could be speaking out of turn here, but, may I suggest you practice 'kissing the mirror'. This will get your chest lower like gear is talking about. May I also suggest that you keep your weight on the foot pegs so you can slide half a cheek off when you need to.

The advice is free, so take it for what it's worth.
You’re not far off. He’s definitely forward, but needs to be down more at the chest level.

Lean more down on the tank, get your chest and head down so they don’t act like a wind sail. Also slide the butt over a little more. Honestly you’re not far off, but when you really start leaning the bike over you’ll be requiring more effort due to being “on the bike” vs hanging off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that you want to be anchored and secure on the bike with your lower body. This will allow you to be able to move your upper body over without needing to death grip the bars. Body position should begin with a stable lower body and finish with your upper body being over to the side that you are cornering on. Elbow down, relaxed grip on the bars. Good body position has less to do with how far over your butt is, and more to do with your upper body. How do you think you can use your lower body and legs to anchor yourself to the bike so your upper body can remain relaxed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing to keep in mind is that you want to be anchored and secure on the bike with your lower body. This will allow you to be able to move your upper body over without needing to death grip the bars. Body position should begin with a stable lower body and finish with your upper body being over to the side that you are cornering on. Elbow down, relaxed grip on the bars. Good body position has less to do with how far over your butt is, and more to do with your upper body. How do you think you can use your lower body and legs to anchor yourself to the bike so your upper body can remain relaxed?
Using my outer leg to grip the tank and riding on the balls of my feet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts