Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, inheriting my friends r1. Hasn't been started in two years. Garage kept. I plan on changing all fluids and spark plugs. Should i be concerned about piston rings being stuck? Is there any product I can use inside cylinder walls to help free things up? I plan on turning engine over by hand before starting. Bike was well taken care of prior to being stored.

Thank you

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,350 Posts
Pour some mmo in the cylinders and let it sit for a few minutes, then break it over by hand with the plugs out, then look into the cylinders and see how the bores look.

Dump the fuel, inspect the tank and filter to see how they look. Add fresh. Give her a yank and see if she spits.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
2 years if it was stored somewhere decent is no big deal. 2 years outside in the rain is different. Personally if it was somewhere nice I would change the oil, drain fuel and check for any bits of rust when u drain it but that's more from it being 20 years old not the sitting 2 years, fresh gas and give it a try. If you have concerns about rings then a cap of atf into the cylinders eats rust and spin by hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts