Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
mottune is the right way, don't take it to redline, but get it at least over 8,000 RPMs, but smoothly, thats the key...If you break it in like a dog,it will be one

·
Dell boy in dubai
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
motune sounds good but ive done 150 miles on it already gently ( ish )
Mainly at 5-6k rpm occasionaly blasting it when i get bored..

Ive been through the gears fast to get to 6k round about half throttle

You guys think its ok to twist it more now.?.

·
When in Doubt , Flat Out
59 Posts
Breaking in the engine

Hey man

I have just broken my engine in and i did pretty much the same as you are . I didnt hit redline at all , Just kept the revs from 1g - about 8 thousand and constantly varied it .

enjoy

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
mottune is the right way, don't take it to redline, but get it at least over 8,000 RPMs, but smoothly, thats the key...If you break it in like a dog,it will be one
I agree. You only have a short window of about the first 50 miles to seat the piston rings the MotoTune way. I broke in my '06 R6 his way using the oil he says to use. My first ride was 25 miles of doing what he says. After that ride I parked it, let it cool and on the stand it went for an oil and filter change. I put on a full Akra Evo with a BMC filter several hundred miles later. Off to a race shop it went for a custom map. The owner of the shop said it was one of the stonger R6's he's mapped.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
change oil... dont wait till 600 miles.. really. change oil in first 100 miles.. tiny parts of sharp tranny parts in there.. get them out quick.. no point letting them float around in oil for 600 miles.. they come off after first few miles. heat cycles do work.. broke mine in mototune way.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i broke my last two bikes in like i was gonna ride them!! take in mind i never red lined them by any means but 10-11k revs they did see!! if anything isnt gonna hold its gonna do it redguardless y not ealier when its well within the warrenty!! right now my r1 has over 20,000 miles on it with zero problems!!!!!!

·
Mile High
514 Posts
JFC, if this is not the most discussed topic on the sportbike planet, it's close.

Dare to search old threads on this. I'll bet that within 2 minutes, you can find a F-load of threads on this exact topic (or on any sportbike chat board)

·
Registered
528 Posts
crap oil, only about 1-200 miles and ride it on and off the throttle using a good portion of the rpm range.

You NEED the parts to wear a bit in order to seal/seat properly. If you don't, you'll get an engine that likes to use oil.

·
Jeckle
3,383 Posts
i broke my last two bikes in like i was gonna ride them!! take in mind i never red lined them by any means but 10-11k revs they did see!! if anything isnt gonna hold its gonna do it redguardless y not ealier when its well within the warrenty!! right now my r1 has over 20,000 miles on it with zero problems!!!!!!
+1:jump

·
Dell boy in dubai
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
think that guy wants to star in the next superman film.. although his technique wasnt very good.. 8/10 effort.. 5/10 technique...

riding like that here in dubai hed have been dead 2 mins into it.

MUPPET

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.