Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Until it sleeps
5,422 Posts
I let it idle for a little bit. cuz i live on a dirnt road and dont wanat to drive fatser than idle on the gravel. so it get about of minute of idle vefoer shutdwon

Hey if id ont make sence im drinking please exucse me

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,011 Posts
you should always let an engine idle under hard use for a few min. its a very good idea

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,667 Posts
I'm sure you all know this, but never turn a bike off unless it's at idle.

:beer

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,864 Posts
I just turn it off, but then again the twisties are a good 10 miles or more from home, so it gets lots of easy riding on the way back.

- BA

·
I need more money.
3,022 Posts
I live in an extremely hot weather and after the ride I just turn the bike off. If I let it work on neutral then temps are going up and up. I feel that it is better for the bike to be off then work at high temps in Neutral.

Thats only my opinion.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
You have to idle turbo motors (to allow the turbo to cool down) but not normal piston motors. The liquid cooling of todays motors is so good that the motor probably will be cooler after running hard than after idling...

·
powderwhore
1,135 Posts
I just turn mine off. But I have been know to use a fan during the summer months.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If your fan is running, i wouldn't suggest turning it off right away, the coolant in the engine can soak up all the heat and something bad might happen.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Droog said:
I'm sure you all know this, but never turn a bike off unless it's at idle.

I've never let it idle after riding... I noticed that if I let it idle for to long it will get to hot...so what's the point... I usually power down right after riding... while the temperature is still around 160 - 170...

it there any reason I should let it idle after riding to shut it down ??? :confused:

:confused:

·
shoots! scores!!
1,217 Posts
downtown said:
I live in an extremely hot weather and after the ride I just turn the bike off. If I let it work on neutral then temps are going up and up. I feel that it is better for the bike to be off then work at high temps in Neutral.

Thats only my opinion.
precisely. idling your bike after a ride is only going to make things hotter, not cool it down. just shut it off.

idling a motor to cool it down is nonsense, the only way itz going to cool down is if A) you are moving. B) itz not running.

·
pavement tester....
7,270 Posts
I mean think about it, my bike is probably ran the hardest at trackdays in the summer and when I pull into the pits i just shut it down. No idle or anything.... Never had a problemo

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,667 Posts
viper6277 said:
I've never let it idle after riding... I noticed that if I let it idle for to long it will get to hot...so what's the point... I usually power down right after riding... while the temperature is still around 160 - 170...

it there any reason I should let it idle after riding to shut it down ??? :confused:

:confused:
Re-read my post. I didn't say let it sit and idle for ages, just don't shut the thing off while you're revving it, or the chokes on.

Stop and shut it off at idle.

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Juerg said:
You have to idle turbo motors (to allow the turbo to cool down) but not normal piston motors. The liquid cooling of todays motors is so good that the motor probably will be cooler after running hard than after idling...
Yep... well said! :yesnod

Only turbo need to be cool down by keeping the engine running so that the oil can keep circulating to the turbo. This is why people use turbo timer, so that they can just walk away from their cars and the car will turn off itself after a preset time.

But there is no point for idling a N/A motor, cause the engine will even get hotter if you let it idle. The best way to cool down your engine is when no parts are moving, in another word, it's off.

:)

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
880 Posts
I don't get this...

In other words, you shouldn't like, pin the throttle and let it bounce off the rev limiter whilst turning the key to the off position???

What the hell was the point of this thread anyway?

:iamwithst

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
Re: I don't get this...

scud said:
In other words, you shouldn't like, pin the throttle and let it bounce off the rev limiter whilst turning the key to the off position???

What the hell was the point of this thread anyway?

:iamwithst
I think you misunderstood the question man... :yesnod

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
880 Posts
Nope..

No- that was just my sarcastic side kicking in....

besides- it wasn't even in repsponse to your comment- I'm with you on the no-point-in-idling issue!!! :finger

In truth, I never let mine sit and idle- only on warm up, but only to lower operating temp range. Maybe it's the paranoia that sets in owning a V45 magna... they have a terrible top end oiling problem- to the point where you're better of actually just letting it warm up to the point where it idles ok without choke and GO- let it idle on an easy warm up ride, rather than idling or low rev operation- not enough oil gets up to the top end and the cams go bye-bye...

:finger

·
Una Caterva, Una Pugna
34,147 Posts
I let it idle for about 15-20 seconds or so..... after a long enough period of time the temp is gonna raise from idling anyway.

·
powderwhore
1,135 Posts
fast_guy99 said:
I just turn mine off. But I have been know to use a fan during the summer months.
I run a floor fan in front of the bike. Not the fan on the bike. Just an FYI

1 - 20 of 24 Posts