Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Don't Piss Off An R1
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have read a lot about how aftermarket air filter don't do anything or actually are worst then the stock air filters, so after buying a GYT-R air filter I was quite upset, so yesterday I took it out and drove to a friends house who happens to have a 12 foot by 5 foot wind tunnel for RC planes. I wanted to see how much more/less air flows through the GYT-R air filter compared with the stock filter. So we sent up a blue stream of air so we could watch it travel through the filter. And Guess what.....? there was Much more air flow through the GYT-R then the stock. We even took off the metal bracket on the stock filter and still there was a very noticeable difference. So I think that most of the aftermarket air filters flow better air then the stock air filters. So after completing this test I am happy with my purchase of the GYT-R air filter.:cool:

·
Driving the bus to hell
1,135 Posts
did you do this or you read this?

·
If it scares you, keep it!
169 Posts
I'm not at all suprised. Good job! Too bad you didn't test a BMC filter against that GYT-R..;)

·
My R1s sleep together
173 Posts
I spoke with Dan Kyle this year about this exact topic. He told me that more air does not mean more horsepower. He has done tuning tests with aftermarket air filters and told me at best they equal the stock air filter. That being said, I have a BMC...

/DadMan

·
Let's Ride!
413 Posts
I’ve actually heard similar information about intake flow. I’ve heard that more isn’t always better. Kinda like exhaust, you don’t want to put 6 inch tubing on you bike and call it a day. Sure it flows better but you need some back pressure and apparently, intake is similar. Maybe an expert can elaborate?

·
My gixxer eats you!
2,152 Posts
DadMan said:
...more air does not mean more horsepower...
Hmm, I wonder how a turbocharger works then, since it forces more air into an engine....but you say that more air doesnt mean more horsepower??? I am sorry but you are completely wrong. As someone else said, more air, more fuel = more power. This is exactly how nitrous works as well, the extra oxygen from the N2O is burnt along with extra fuel to create more power.

Now, with a higher flowing filter you are doing two things for the engine. Allowing it to spin with less restriction, and allowing more air to enter the cylinders, in-turn requiring more fuel and creating more power. It is no different from cars, power additives, ect. They all work in the same way, just on different scales. :thumbup

Here is a little reading for you

nitrous

turbo

·
I am dangerous.
842 Posts
I just put the K&N on my 04, I already had a PCIII, and I notice much smooth power right away! which surprised me to be honest...good stuff, and the K&N is CHEAP, I think its like $48 at kneedraggers. My stocker had about 12K miles on it at the time of the change. I didnt get the BMC Race because I thought that might be too much for the street and the mileage my engine see, plus I figured the regualr K&N had to be just as good as the street BMC at a cheaper price.

·
Twist of the Wrist
394 Posts
I took my stock filter out the day I got my bike, and replaced it with the GYT-Rs.
Yesterday, when I did my oil change at 6000, I didn't feel like cleaning the GYT-Rs so I decided to put back the stock air filter.
Believe it or not, the bike runs noticebly better.
There seems to be more compression and more throttle response.
Bogging off the throttle is gone or very minimal.
It just feels like the bike is running the way it was meant to be. IMO
I don't think I'll be putting back the GYT-Rs anytime soon.

·
Cracka' What!
586 Posts
The real issue regarding aftermarket air filters isn't air volume, it is intake turbulance. It is common knowlege that the performance filters like K&N ect. flow a greater volume of air. On a bike with a short intact tract and compact airbox, the flow of air is just a crucial as the volume. The airbox on performance bikes is carefully designed to channel a laminar flow of air into the intake and the stock air filter is carefully designed to accomodate this.

As someone said, more air (along with fuel) = more power. This is quite true, but it the airflow through the airbox become turbulent, you will actually reduce the airflow into the engine makeing the engine "work" harder to draw in the air. This of it this way: Air, just like any other mass, has kinetic energy and once it is moving it wants to keep doing so. If you have a smooth laminar flow into the intake track, the momentum of the air will help force it into the cylinder. If that laminar flow is disrupted, you loose that momentum.

On Ram-Air bikes, this is only a problem until you reach a speed at which the Ram effect overcomes the negative effect of this turbulence.

From the test i have read, Hondas are the most sensative to this because they put the most time into airbox design.

Either way, any loss seen by an aftermarket filter will be in the low to mid rpm range where there is a longer ammount of time between intake strokes so the air has time to lose momentum.

As long as you can tune your fuel cuve (PCIII ect) to match the increased airflow, you should still see a top-end increase in HP, but there might be a very slight loss in torque at the bottom end. A set of proper-length velocity stacks should cure this problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
aintgotabike said:
lol, I dont know where you'refrom ..but i know here on earth that more air you can bring into your engine = more HP as long as you have the fuel for it
LOL, if you think you know more than Dan Kyle when it comes to bikes, you are insane.
If you spend hours tuning your bikes on a dyno, you might get 1-2 horse from an aftermarket filter. But more often than not you either don't add any hp or you lose hp.
Like SoCalR1Rider said, there is more to making power than just puting more air in. In addition to what he talked about, motorcycles ECUs aren't as advanced as cars or trucks. They are getting closer, but they don't have enough adjustment in them to take advantage of the extra air.

·
My R1s sleep together
173 Posts
aintgotabike said:
lol, I dont know where you'refrom ..but i know here on earth that more air you can bring into your engine = more HP as long as you have the fuel for it
I probably don't know as much as you do about engines, but I know Dan Kyle knows more than you.

Dan asked me the following question:

"If you think more air = more horsepower, you must be able to get a lot of horsepower out of a bike with no filter, right?"

I said:

"Well, the air filter certainly has it's purpose... I don't want to get crap in my engine"

Dan then said:

"Aside from the crap and grime, wouldn't you expect to get more horsepower?"

I then stupidly played into his hand:

"Yes, I believe so."

I then had a thirty minute talk about how marketing people have sucked me in.

He then told me:

"Ok, if you don't believe me... ask them for a dyno sheet that shows a stock motorcycle and one with their filter. See if they give you that."

So, I went on the internet first, thinking that this was a no brainer... of course they have this info.

Nope... no info.

OK, I'll email BMC...

hmm... no reply....

you figure it out.

/DadMan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts