Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Have keys, Will Travel
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read close to 200 threads dealing with the subject and almost all of them said go stock OEM...Is there anyone out there that recommends going after market be t Barrett or DP?

And all I really saw was 'go stock' really no reason why? What is so wrong with aftermarkets?

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
:stpd: is there a reason the stock ones didn't serve you well? it's kinda the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing. the stock ones do everything asked of them basically, whilst 'others' have been known to have issues at times.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
forgot to add... i even use genuine yamaha steels and fibres in my slipper clutch ( STM ).:thumbup

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
Stock steels with graves fibers in my 05 no problem at all.:dollar

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
The barnett's I have tried have been very grabby. Plus after working at a dealership for several years we just got tired of the fitament issues with the aftermarket stuff.

the clutch on the R1 is very good from the factory, except for the spring set up.

best bet i know of for a 98-03 bike is the OEM fibers and steels, with the Barnette coil spring conversion. It is a night and day difference, more progressive than stock, and lasts longer.

Never heard of anyone not happy with this set up.

·
Have keys, Will Travel
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input, And I can certainly see what your saying, Not broke don't fix it (well in this case rather it is broke). I also saw many recommendations to use barnett springs, rather than the full barnett clutch or OEM springs. I think this may be what I do. Then again, over hear prices for local performance parts are crazy and ordering takes over a month, where as OEM is just a matter of days....So more likely I will go that route unless anyone has any diehard reason to go another direction...

The main reason I asked was because really no one gave any reason for their recommendation, I kinda thought it was one of those things where no one really had any input of their own but just regurgitating what someone else had said. Well, that and when I have to replace an item, I figure it as good as time as any to upgrade in the process

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
here is my reason.. drag race and go thru more clutches in year than most do in time they own bike. in that i have tried every brand of clutches.. ebc, barnetts, all different steels, cryo, stock and such. some felt grabby, but none lasted as long as oem yamaha plates did. they had better feel, fit better, put less clutch residue into basket. all yamaha needs is stiffer springs to help clutches last longer. i have stacks of plates and steels from 00 and 04...all over my shop, trailer, every bench and table. some of aftermarkets are more expensive than yamaha, but dont last as long. so why spend more $$ for less? with 98-03, they need barnett SR3 spring conversion or run 2 stock diaphram springs to increase pressure. with sr3 run 3 street springs and 3 race springs. i couldnt run 6 race springs as i couldnt pull clutch in after few minutes of riding.. it was 2 stiff. im not big supporter of aftermarket stuff.. in my opinion it should be better than stock stuff... but in clutch department... there not up to speed.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
on the 98-01 (maybe others) you can use a 1993 TDM 850 yamaha clutch arm to give better leverage with a heavier clutch. (or even make your stock clutch easier to pull in).
note: this info comes from martinc, i havent tried it personally as my clutch lever on the clipon has 3 adjustment for pull strength, (its the crg supersport model lever):jump:flex:

Attachments

·
Have keys, Will Travel
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would there be any problem with running the 2 spring set up with the old spring and a new, or should I just buy 2 new springs....I mean they don't cost that much....

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
Would there be any problem with running the 2 spring set up with the old spring and a new, or should I just buy 2 new springs....I mean they don't cost that much....
na that will be fine! and in my opinion a good idea.

·
Have keys, Will Travel
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then that sounds like a plan, Now to find the how to thread...

Thanks for all your help guys...

1longR1 said:
im not big supporter of aftermarket stuff.. in my opinion it should be better than stock stuff... but in clutch department... there not up to speed.
I think that was part of my hang up, I expected it to be better than stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.