Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got my bike back out and tested the helmet. Here's my review for those interested.

Pros:
Wind resistance from the peak is a non-issue. Honestly I can barely feel the difference between this helmet and my reevu in that aspect. It get's a tiny bit of drag when I do a head check but not enough to feel uncomfortable or even really notice it. I've had the helmet on up to about 100mph and sitting upright it didn't pull any harder than my reevu. I thought I would take off the peak for long interstate rides but I'm going to leave it on. I was pleasantly surprised.

Air flow is great. I can leave the visor down on this helmet at stoplights, or when I get gas etc because it breathes so good, I don't even think about cracking it. People will come up and talk to me when I'm stopped and I honestly forget my visor is down. The FOV is also extremely good, I thought my reevu was good but this is better, minus not being able to see out the back of my head "google: reevu".

Internal visor works well but I haven't had to use it yet. The main visor plus the peak gives great sun-shielding. But it's not so dark that I need to carry a clear visor. I should, but it's not as much of a problem as the reevu.

Has a ratchet strap which is 100x better than D-rings imo.

------------------------------------------------
Cons: I feel like my chin is hanging out. There's not as much of a curtain as my reevu had, which is weird, I guess I feel exposed even though it's probably just as safe.

Hard to change the face shield, you need a screwdriver and there's parts that can fall out. Not a 2 second swap while pumping gas.

Visor doesn't "snap" or "lock" down. It seals pretty well, but might be an issue in colder weather.

I broke the little metal screen behind the mouth vent "bug screen?" on the very first day. I picked up the helmet and my thumb just punched it out from the inside. It's still hanging loosely in there and I haven't gotten bugs in my mouth yet so I guess all is well, and if I do, well... it's extra protein.

Paint wasn't perfect. There was 1 or 2 tiny mistakes in the finish and plastic burrs, but for the price I just have to accept that. Not worth exchanging it.

LOUD- Obviously I can only compare this to my reevu but the 41DS is crazy loud in comparison. It's absolutely painful to ride without earplugs. I bought three boxes of plugs and will be stashing them in various locations to make sure I NEVER ride without them. I understand that this is the trade-off for great air flow.

I don't feel as safe. I don't know why, and I can't pinpoint what I'm feeling but I don't feel as protected as I did in my reevu. For some reason I imagine this helmet crushing my head or breaking my neck and I don't know why. It seems solid enough and has good padding. Maybe the weight is just distributed differently on my head and I'm not used to it yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
::Verdict::
For the price $160, and the cheap sheilds "$35" I think this is a good value helmet. Is it a $700 helmet? nope. Is it packed with features? yep. 17 vents, ratchet strap, internal sun visor, removable peak, good looks, cheap visors, lightweight, low drag.

I would recommend this helmet.

customized by someone:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the review bud. I was eyeing up either this AFX or the AGV AX-8 but in the end I've gone for an RPHA-10+ which is light years ahead of my old Shark S900. I thought the FX-41DS would be loud tbh, and so would the AX-8. Trouble is, you can only test this on the bike, by which point you can't return the helmet...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the review bud. I was eyeing up either this AFX or the AGV AX-8 but in the end I've gone for an RPHA-10+ which is light years ahead of my old Shark S900. I thought the FX-41DS would be loud tbh, and so would the AX-8. Trouble is, you can only test this on the bike, by which point you can't return the helmet...
cool. Unfortunately with this helmet I have found some drawbacks since my initial review. Today with the visor CLOSED a bumble bee got into my helmet. Not sure how, but thank god he got banged around before coming in and wasn't moving. It still freaked me out and I had to make a fast maneuver to the shoulder of the interstate. Also, with the mini sena mic. my friend can barely understand me due to wind noise. I'm gonna try installing the boom mic. but this helmet is just crazy loud.

·
Super Moderator
23,799 Posts
cool. Unfortunately with this helmet I have found some drawbacks since my initial review. Today with the visor CLOSED a bumble bee got into my helmet. Not sure how, but thank god he got banged around before coming in and wasn't moving. It still freaked me out and I had to make a fast maneuver to the shoulder of the interstate. Also, with the mini sena mic. my friend can barely understand me due to wind noise. I'm gonna try installing the boom mic. but this helmet is just crazy loud.
That's what you get for buying such a cheap ass dirtbike helmet. :ncont:

·
I miss my R1
2,975 Posts
Yeah it looks cool, that's about it.

I'm not one of the people who think you need to have a $900 helmet to be safe, but I would definitely be a bit concerned about the build quality of something that is falling apart from picking it up.

I'll stick with my Lazer :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Kyoto_Kinniku
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing