Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so if I take the carbs off my bike do I half to re sync. them ? If so how hard is this? The thing is I found a guy to set them up right but I dont want to pay the 4 hours of labor to take the carbs off. Is this something I should try myself? I am mechanicly inclined, Ime an engineer, but Ime not a motorcycle mecanic or an automobile mechanic. I do have the service manual on cd-rom, so I could refer to that. So what should I do?:rolleyes:

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
ShawnR1 I didnt sync my carbs yet and It runs fine, but Im gonna do it anyway when My MotionPro carb sync gauges comes in !! as I always say "Just Do It"

· Born to do trackdays
390 Posts
Motion Pro

Hi, I also use the Motion Pro sync tool and I did put it on the bike before I touched anything else and guess what ? Much to my surprise (sic) not one of the carbs were in sync. You can read elsewhere on the forum a lot about how badly tuned and setup the bikes are when they leave the factory (One title said something to the effect "Isn't it sad that a company that uses a tuning-fork as a logo ....)

Although you're not splitting the carbs when you take them off, it is always a good idea to balance them when you put them back If you've taken the tops off or the float bowls. I would recommend that you do it in any case. Yes, the bike runs fine, but it can perhaps run even better.

But the reason for me sending this reply is a gentle word of advice: Be careful not to drop bolts, washers, Allen key or anything when you're doing this, especially on cylinders 3 & 4 ! Next thing you know, you're taking the starter motor out to retrieve the f..... washer or bolt once it has slipped inbetween the starter motor and the crank case.

Guess what happened the first time I tried to balance the carbs ?

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Usually when I'm working on My bike I use rags and such to block spaces to prevent nuts and bolts from falling into places they shouldn't be !! It was a lesson I've learned from long ago :yesnod I am a mechanical fingers wizard :lol

Oh, what happened the first time You tried to balance the carbs ?

· Born to do trackdays
390 Posts
Little brass washer ... oops .... now on which page of the Haynes manual do the describe the removal of the starter motor ?

I've been working (lots of it) on a Land Rover Defender for the last couple of years and it took a while to get use to the confined spaces of the bike engine again.

· Registered
8 Posts
carbs idle ruff

Hey does anyone know if there is a problem or is it normal. My bike idles a little bit up and down. Ive got a ACRAPOVIC TITANIUM end can and a K&N standard replacement air filter but the bike has not had a rejet/dyno tune. When I take the revs up the bike is sweet as a nut but when it is idling the needle is up and down. At this stage is it still important to rejet as I was informed by RYNO DYNO that it is not. Does anyone have any advice- and no crap please

· Arrrrrrrrrggggghhhhh!
113 Posts
mines the same mate, idles up and down... about 100rpm each way of 1100rpm atm. Sounds quite un-even. Ive noticed it since i installed the slipon and im running stock airfilter & ivans needles.

I assume it just means my carbs need balancing.... will try that first & let you know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.