Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· This...is a...a...suck!
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about purchasing the kit from Ivan to remove my air pump but was wondering if anyone has done this yet. Is there alot to it? I installed his jet kit the other day and cranked my air screws about 4 turns out, synched the carbs and I still get the popping out the exhaust. Is there any benefit to having the air pump there? Is there anything extra that I need to get/do with regards to removal of the pump? Any downsides?
:thumbup

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
I've removed My airpump its not that big of a deal. The hardest part is tapping the holes. Good luck here are some pics of the job.

1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get Ivan's kit or did you piece together the necessary tools from Home Depot?

Were you having trouble with the backfiring?

Thanks for the pic.

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
another

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
I ordered the kit from Ivan. The tap for stainless steel is expensive!! Thats why the kit costs so much :thumbup

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
one more

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Last one

1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered it. So all you have to do is remove the radiator, header and it is there? Can you leave the radiator hoses attached and rest it off to the side? or do you need to drain the coolant all together?

Thanks for the info Champion!!!

:thumbup :thumbup

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
I totally removed the radiator but You can just leave the radiator hooked up and get the job done :thumbup it may be tight though to get in there with the radiator hanging in the way.

1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No prob with the radiator hanging there. One less thing to remove. But you have to use a socket and ratchet. Impossible with a wrench. I used a wrench on the left most cylinder and what a pain in the ass. Anyway it took the same amount of time to do the other three with a socket as it did for the first one with a wrench.

Now the real test. See if it still pops out the exhaust now.

Thanks for the advice Champion

:thumbup

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
There is probably a very small gain in power because of the weight reduction, but mostly its for reducing popping on deceleration.

1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Champion, did you get an extra vaccuum cap in your kit? I got three caps in mine and I only had two lines that I needed to terminate. Is there one that I am missing?

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Yes you will have an extra one ;) The blue one

· Nothin' sexier than an R1
513 Posts
Can you give me the thread and pitch for the blots and the tap, i would like to put my own kit together to do this to my bike, THANKS!

· Registered
9 Posts
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and I have not thought about tampering with the arleady god-like power of the R-1.

It looks to me like the stainless inserts into the cast aluminium fittings which mount into the head might be removable (note the crush washers)

Forget taping them. Throw some vise grips or a small pipe wrench on them and pop them off, find the right thread bolt or plug and run with it.

-E

· Registered
17 Posts
I've documented my experience here.. http://www.stormriders.ca/HowTo/air_induction_removel.htm

After reading a message from Chuck Graves where he said connecting the large airbox hole to the crankcase breather would help relieve pressure resulting in a HP or 2 at high RPM, I decided to give it a try and put a T-connector from the crankcase breather tube to the previously blocked hole. I can't say I can feel a difference, but for the few cents for the connector, it's worth the chance...

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Twisted Logic said:
You should really go with Ivans kit unless you have access to some good tools. If you do not use a tap made for stainless steel you will end up breaking it and then you are screwed. The price will probably be about the same either way but do you want to go hunt for a tap and plugs,etc????
I'll get ya the size of the tap in a few. Its out in My car, but I hear a tap for stainless is expensive

Here is the link to ivans page too:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
The tap is - 5/16-24 NF GH3 HSS

· Nothin' sexier than an R1
513 Posts
THANKS Champion!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.