Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with Airoh helmets? The one Andrea Locatelli is running in WSS looks way cool. I currently use and love my Arai Corsair X—how would it compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,591 Posts
As a fellow Corsair X owner, I'd say hold onto it, hug it at night, etc.

The first issue I think you'd run into is that you'd likely have to import it, so technically not legal to wear (not that that stops H-D riders from slapping a DOT sticker on a chrome dog bowl). Looking at their helmets, they almost all run two shell sizes. TWO! Ours have five? Their new/seemingly top-end lid comes in three. They're probably going to be cheaper in construction in many ways. Arai is high up there for good reason.
(That said I am considering a Bell for the next one...possibly.)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it’s an import. Follows the ECE rating, which isn’t all bad. You are probably right to stick with the Corsair.

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,591 Posts
Yes, it’s an import. Follows the ECE rating, which isn’t all bad. You are probably right to stick with the Corsair.

Corsairs are ECE as well, right? At least by whatever name? I feel like with big brands, the Snell vs ECE thing is basically laid to rest? Or are the wars still raging?

·
Registered
82 Posts
As a fellow Corsair X owner, I'd say hold onto it, hug it at night, etc.

The first issue I think you'd run into is that you'd likely have to import it, so technically not legal to wear (not that that stops H-D riders from slapping a DOT sticker on a chrome dog bowl). Looking at their helmets, they almost all run two shell sizes. TWO! Ours have five? Their new/seemingly top-end lid comes in three. They're probably going to be cheaper in construction in many ways. Arai is high up there for good reason.
(That said I am considering a Bell for the next one...possibly.)
Isn't that where the sayings "ring your bell" and "boy he really got his bell rung" came from?

·
Registered
44 Posts
actually there are fit differences for USA and other countries. that's one of the main selling points by arai and shoei. they use many shell sizes and insert shapes to fit us mutts and full breads in europe. 🤣

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,591 Posts
actually there are fit differences for USA and other countries. that's one of the main selling points by arai and shoei. they use many shell sizes and insert shapes to fit us mutts and full breads in europe. 🤣
USA has people from everywhere. My mostly-German (then Irish, Spanish...) head doesn't fit the "North American" shell correctly - it's too narrow for the crown. Shrug
More shell sizes just means you'll end up with a helmet that is more appropriate dimensions and weight-wise for your actual head 😉.

·
I miss my R1
3,391 Posts
You know shell sizes has nothing to do with what shape of head you have, right? As thesoapster mentions, it's so you can have the lightest helmet possible for your size of head.

Different brands/models fit different head shapes better, most people are "intermediate oval" (from what I've read) regardless of where they're from :)

·
Registered
Yamaha Yzf R1 2014
7 Posts
Zombie you are correct I work at AMX motorcycle accessories Australia Victoria and everyone s head is different in one way or other, forget brands , recommendations and race Moto Gp helmets(99% are custom )made or modifyed.go with a comfortable good fitting helmet that inspires confidence.most helmets are now 'E' European standards and are made strong enough.safe riding Ty

·
Registered
44 Posts
You know shell sizes has nothing to do with what shape of head you have, right? As thesoapster mentions, it's so you can have the lightest helmet possible for your size of head.

Different brands/models fit different head shapes better, most people are "intermediate oval" (from what I've read) regardless of where they're from :)
They as in arai and shoei claim the different she'll sizes is to give proper fitment. And it fits the foam insert for the different head shapes found around the world.

·
I miss my R1
3,391 Posts
Not sure what you meant to paste there, but the shell size still has nothing to do with the head shape it is designed for... They have different models to fit different head shapes, not shell sizes.

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,591 Posts
Yep...only Arai I fit is the Corsair-X (Defiant might work, but who actually wants that?). Most Arai helmets come in a bunch of shell sizes. It's a question of cost. One way brands like HJC keeps costs down is by offering maybe two shells with variable levels of padding. If you only have to produce a couple shells for your entire range of sizes, naturally your costs are lower. When I was much newer I wore Shoei (which didn't quite fit as it should have, but I digress). The X-Eleven boast was that it was four or five distinct shell sizes for that model. The shape was the same, but it meant if you were size L, you'd get a shell that is appropriate for L and not perhaps an XL with extra padding to accommodate. The XL with the pads might fit, but it's going to be heavier. Since one of the main reasons for going with a pricier lid is to shed some grams, naturally they're going to make more shell sizes. It will cost more in the end, but enough riders have shown that they're willing to pay $600-$1000.
As for different head shapes around the world, it is true that some markets/models have different EPS shape. One of my Shoei X-Elevens was imported from Japan, and its internal shape was rounder than the North American model with a different fit, despite both being size L. As far as it matters when buying in your own market, the shape will be consistent at all sizes (including different shells).

·
Registered
Yamaha Yzf R1 2014
7 Posts
Very nice Wright up could of not said it any better,one others thing guys the difference in shell sizes gives riders the opportunity to go with a smaller or larger lighter etc.. different pads sizes for a custom fit that's really why it's done .PS guys well done to all the members , readers and everyone who conterbutes to the R1 Forum it is the one stop forum for help and opinion for everything bike,I know I have used this site for ages before even being a member' knowledge is truly power 'safe riding Ty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts