Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Yamaha dealer in Sweden
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.
I work for Yamaha and would like to share some light over all these AIR removal threads.

Just to clarifiy it aint enogh to buy block of plates for the 2004-06 R1.
You need a kit from Yamaha artnr 5VYA48907000
This kit includes plates, 4 pins and a block for the airbox.

To install the four pins you need to take of the cylinder head and there you will find 4 holes that these pins will be installed so they block off the air correct.

Cheers
Daniel

·
Akrapovic xplane
6,024 Posts
might be useful info for 04-06 owners......bump

·
The only ONE.....
116 Posts
i have to agree with u wheat.... :bs without photos for proof.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ok yes the YEC kit comes with pins to block the passageway off in the cylinder head... but really whats this gonna save? A little less turbulance in the exhaust? No one has posted anything on this but i'm betting the difference to hp / performance is less than negleable. May I ask which department you work with in yamaha? And what are the problems with not blocking off these passageways, because If you can't tell us then no one can thing of any serious side effects.

·
Yamaha dealer in Sweden
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will scan in the pages from the "manual" I have and send them or post them here.
And a pic over the parts as soon as I have them in my hand (a few days from now)

Im just telling what I know, not saying that it will make a big hp differns. But turboulance in the exhaust aint good and that have I seen then running a few bikes in the dyno before and after we have "cleaned" the inside of the pipes from leftover welding parts.

I work in sales(if that matters to ya) and aint a mecanic but Ive dealing with the R1 since -99 and aint a newbi.
I will talk to some of the tuners and see if they can give some more info.
But the pins are there for a reason dont ya think?

Trust me or dont ,to be honest I dont give a crap. Im just tellig you all what I know.;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was wondering what department so that possibly you could shed light onto why these are included. I personally would like to know the differences of them being there or not... however it doesn't really matter to me since I don't use block offs. Quite often I find the YEC kits include a bit more because they do everything right... however quite often the extra's arn't really needed. Kinda like getting an engine blueprinted... would it be nice... sure... is the cost to benifits ratio worth it for me... no.

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
You do not remove the cylinder head all you have to do is remove the valve cover and you can install the four pins into the appropriate holes. what happens is that even though you have the block offs the stock pins have holes that still permit exhaust flow to the block offs. If you install the yec pins they block all flow towards the block offs and exhaust gas now only travels out the exhaust manifold instead going towards the ais plate and them out the manifold(exhaust.) How much difference these pins make I do not know.:hellobye

·
Yamaha dealer in Sweden
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You do not remove the cylinder head all you have to do is remove the valve cover and you can install the four pins into the appropriate holes. what happens is that even though you have the block offs the stock pins have holes that still permit exhaust flow to the block offs. If you install the yec pins they block all flow towards the block offs and exhaust gas now only travels out the exhaust manifold instead going towards the ais plate and them out the manifold(exhaust.) How much difference these pins make I do not know.

Thanks Bryan for correcting me about the valve cover... I did mean that but wrote wrong... sorry about that guys..

I will get my kit early next week and will take some pic then I install it so you all can what it is and how to do it..

Cheers.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,936 Posts
racerb0y said:
if Chuck Graves thought it nescessary to implement pins with his plate kits, then so be it, apparently its not an issue with him, I've been racing my 04/05 for awhile and there are no ill effects that I can feel. both bikes pull fine and smooth.

And it didn't with the AIS system intact?

:riding

·
Yamaha dealer in Sweden
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah thats true but I will do as i've been told thats the correct way.
It don't cost much and ain't much trouble so Ill do it.

If it will help performance I don't know but it will make less turbulence in the exhaust...

The kit cost pretty much the same as the Graves block off plates.

·
performance first
2,940 Posts
danpal said:
Yeah thats true but I will do as i've been told thats the correct way.
It don't cost much and ain't much trouble so Ill do it.

If it will help performance I don't know but it will make less turbulence in the exhaust...

The kit cost pretty much the same as the Graves block off plates.
how hard is it to get yec parts and how long does it take.

·
Yamaha dealer in Sweden
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are in stock and cost is ~ 72$

Should only take a few day to get.

I orderd my set yesterday and I hope I have them next week..

·
me r1 to eats P***y
3,513 Posts
i didnt know yec made a kit for this, im going to use the valve to apply vacuum to the crankcase again like i did on my 03,

wheatman love the new pick, glad you went back to the oh soo sweet ass shots

·
Yamaha dealer in Sweden
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Next time get the facts straight before starting a thread such as this.....

Ya mean that ya fell dumb since ya didn´t know this???:butt :cool:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey,
Thanks for the info.
Since you work for Yamaha for so many years...can you shed some light as to the shut off problem the 04-06 R1's have.

Why do they shut off? The problem seems to show up after 5000km or so.

Thanks.
S.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts