Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any benefit to wiring the butterfly open on the Lunchbox? Is it a no harm no foul move? I suspect the system is emissions based to lower recordable idling emissions to pass standards. Meaning it's not needed. My guess is if wired open the idle of bike will sound more like Akra had in mind with their muffler to begin with. What say you?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before you refer me to previous discussions I looked at all that stuff. I knew it front to back already. Doesn't apply to my question. "Is there a Cost or Benefit to locking the butterfly open?" This would require an answer from someone who knows why the butterfly is there to begin with. I stated my semi-educated reasoning why it's there. Am I right? Yes down the road I may get a link/mid pipe, but for now this question needs answering. Basically, I want to take the Corana Mask off my bike if I can. The cat provides all the back pressure in the world. You don't need no fricken secondary choke point in the system. Only emissions would cause an engineer to do such a thing. But I want confirmation from the gurus on this site.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any benefit to wiring the butterfly open on the Lunchbox? Is it a no harm no foul move? I suspect the system is emissions based to lower recordable idling emissions to pass standards. Meaning it's not needed. My guess is if wired open the idle of bike will sound more like Akra had in mind with their muffler to begin with. What say you?
Apparently, after reading a bit this an extensive pro mod group. My mistake. Rookie move.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before you refer me to previous discussions I looked at all that stuff. I knew it front to back already. Doesn't apply to my question. "Is there a Cost or Benefit to locking the butterfly open?" This would require an answer from someone who knows why the butterfly is there to begin with. I stated my semi-educated reasoning why it's there. Am I right? Yes down the road I may get a link/mid pipe, but for now this question needs answering. Basically, I want to take the Corana Mask off my bike if I can. The cat provides all the back pressure in the world. You don't need no fricken secondary choke point in the system. Only emissions would cause an engineer to do such a thing. But I want confirmation from the gurus on this site.
Apparently, after reading a bit this an extensive pro mod group. My mistake. Rookie move. Management type dudes can you move this to the appropriate sub forum.

·
Registered
298 Posts
A lot of people ditch the exup. In my opinion it works as advertised, so I kept mine. It is supposed to help with low end performance and with exhaust scavenging. This is because exhaust design is a compromise. The exup makes the headers work like they are of varied length. When the butterfly is semi closed at low rpms it acts like short tubes. Open at full howl, long tubes.

If you are staying in the top end of the rev range it's removal can help gain some velocity at the tippy top. 99.99999999999% of riders would never notice that, but they would notice the dip in the low end and again in the mid. Anecdotal evidence says the mid range dip is slightly smaller when you remove the exup.

I'm sure someone will come along and tell you all the benefits of removal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A lot of people ditch the exup. In my opinion it works as advertised, so I kept mine. It is supposed to help with low end performance and with exhaust scavenging. This is because exhaust design is a compromise. The exup makes the headers work like they are of varied length. When the butterfly is semi closed at low rpms it acts like short tubes. Open at full howl, long tubes.

If you are staying in the top end of the rev range it's removal can help gain some velocity at the tippy top. 99.99999999999% of riders would never notice that, but they would notice the dip in the low end and again in the mid. Anecdotal evidence says the mid range dip is slightly smaller when you remove the exup.

I'm sure someone will come along and tell you all the benefits of removal.
I'll leave it in. Yesterday I chose a well known straight safe road to "feed a little speed to my ride" as Martin Lawrence would say (Movie Blue streak). 6th gear pinned. I let off at 181mph. Fast enough for me. The rest at this point is sound.

Is the tapping noise from the valves normal on a 2000 mile bike. As I understand it Yamaha valvetrains actually tighten with time which is 180 degrees from conventional wisdom. I got into depth on the subject with my 2018 MT-09 (FZ). A triple cross-plane.

·
Registered
298 Posts
181 indicated pinned in 6th? You have a healer? Mine indicates 189 and still builds revs. Don't know how fast it is exactly, but I'm pretty sure that everything is an estimation anyway because of the uncertainty principal. We can probably only accurately estimate speed by using particle motion and shit, because the bikes are fucking fast as shit.

You running stock gearing? Just curious.

Valves get tight over time. It ain't just Yamaha that is true for. Ask my bandit. Shim under bucket is a great way to do things though and at 2,000 you wouldn't think there would be a need to check the lash. So far as the ticking goes, post up a video for us bud. I'm pretty sure a little racket on startup is fine, but, I haven't heard it, so, I don't want to just throw a blanket statement like that out there.

·
I RACE U LOSE
4,144 Posts
What yr. R1? Early model yrs run best with EXUP left intact, much better low end power you can feel. Removing or disabling EXUP in '04 to '06 models has an unnoticeable difference IMO, except sound. My 2000 model was noticeably soft at low RPM with EXUP always open.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
181 indicated pinned in 6th? You have a healer? Mine indicates 189 and still builds revs. Don't know how fast it is exactly, but I'm pretty sure that everything is an estimation anyway because of the uncertainty principal. We can probably only accurately estimate speed by using particle motion and shit, because the bikes are fucking fast as shit.

Valves get tight over time. It ain't just Yamaha that is true for. Ask my bandit. Shim under bucket is a great way to do things though and at 2,000 you wouldn't think there would be a need to check the lash. So far as the ticking goes, post up a video for us bud. I'm pretty sure a little racket on startup is fine, but, I haven't heard it, so, I don't want to just throw a blanket statement like that out there.

Will do. Sounds like a sloppy lash on the left two cylinders. Could be just be me. I've built engines since age 13 actually even earlier, I don't see how this extra bang-bang is gonna benefit my engine at 14,000 rpm sounds like recipe for failure. I'll run a sound check @ 180-190 degrees temp. see what you guys think.

Thing runs great, but as an engine guy I like my clearances tight. Allowance for heat expansion and that's all. I used to run solid lift cams in my V8 VEGA (had two) got the bent feeler gauges to prove it. I got 2100 on the engine but still sounds like a rattle can "to me". To answer your question yes I'm 17/45 if I have the stock gearing right. I had another 8-9 miles maybe. Sprocket up 215mph. Stock. No problem. But I'm not preparing for Isle of Man TT, But I like finding the edge of the bike's capabilities and my own. So far, this R1 is the best bike I've ever ridden. I think they've outdone themselves. Mode A Pwr 2 till the engine breaking lightens up. LTF I keep dropping it as I get to know the bike TCF 7 gonna drop it to 6 pretty soon. At some point I will find what the bike does RAW, no buffers. If you ride the bike that way then pull in just enough Compu-control to keep it sane. Now you have something. But what do I know I'm 57 years old. My passion for competition speed and dangerous pursuits is the same as it was at 19. That would be 1982.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shot some video, the mic on the iPhone wasn't picking up what I was hearing so I bailed on posting it. Hey what's up with the head lights. One light for low beam (right) one light for high beam (left). They couldn't come up with a dual beam? At first I thought there was a problem til researched it. It looks to everybody like I got a head light out. Could get pulled over for it. Seems dumb to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sure it's fine lash wise. 2100 miles. I heard a little racket on my MT-09 the first 3000 miles. Yamaha traditionally has been really good about there motors both 2 stroke and thumpers throughout the years. I just wished they'd go Ohlins over KYB on non M models but so far I have zero complaints suspension wise. Then again I haven't tracked it yet. Weight at buck 80 I don't think I'll tweek the suspension much. I haven't done the hard stop test yet (check the dust line on the forks). By feel I might throw a click on compression on the front end for good measure. I'm not getting the sense that the front is diving too much. Then again I haven't come off a 160mph straight and dive into a corner. So it is what it is. Track setup and tires is whole nother gig. Safer really. Groomed track spotters. But then there is always the other riders... :) Changes everything doesn't it?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shot some video, the mic on the iPhone wasn't picking up what I was hearing so I bailed on posting it. Hey what's up with the head lights. One light for low beam (right) one light for high beam (left). They couldn't come up with a dual beam? At first I thought there was a problem til researched it. It looks to everybody like I got a head light out. Could get pulled over for it. Seems dumb to me.
Well, the headlights. 2 headlights looks like a car far away, 1, a motorcycle. There were a ton of wrecks before they decided 1 was better than 2.

My r1 has 2 low stage beams. 2 high stage beams. My solution, I don't ride it much at night. I can't see far enough ahead to make riding the r1 at night rewarding anyhow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the headlights. 2 headlights looks like a car far away, 1, a motorcycle. There were a ton of wrecks before they decided 1 was better than 2.

My r1 has 2 low stage beams. 2 high stage beams. My solution, I don't ride it much at night. I can't see far enough ahead to make riding the r1 at night rewarding anyhow.
Neither do I. It was a symmetry thing with me. I got over it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What yr. R1? Early model yrs run best with EXUP left intact, much better low end power you can feel. Removing or disabling EXUP in '04 to '06 models has an unnoticeable difference IMO, except sound. My 2000 model was noticeably soft at low RPM with EXUP always open.
2019 Red. Riding Mode A, PWR - 2, LIF - off, TCS - 6, SCS can't remember whatever cam with standard Mode A.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Agreed. Going fast at night really invites a lot of problems. I didn't buy the R1 to go slow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The thing about playing Night Rider is it's harder to see the gravel triangles at intersections and construction dirt on the road. Two things that will take you out. If you can't see you can't pick your line to avoid them. If I'm taking chances it's in the day light..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts