Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shamalama Dingdong
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been searching/browsing/reading though about a dozen different threads relating to the installation of various exhaust systems, the PCIII, and whether or not the o2 sensor should be disconnected. Unfortuantely, I havent found the exact answer I'm looking for-

This weekend I am going to be installing an Akra Slip-On, the Akra Y-Pipe, and a PCIII on my 07. So no full system (which is what 95% of the threads I found discussed). My main question is: Should I still remove the o2 sensor?

Also, am I going to have to (or, should I / is it recommended) that I dyno the bike and get a custom map created? I have not done any other performance related mods to my bike yet (I will get Velocity Stacks eventually). I bought my parts from MotoMummy (blistering fast shipping speed!), and supposedly it already comes with a custom map for my R1, but I know all bikes perform differently from one another. Is it worth the $ for the dyno? Does anyone else have an exact setup that I will have and have a map available? PowerCommander only has it for the full system on their site.

Thanks!

·
My R1 flies...
12 Posts
Yes - definately remove the o2 sensor. If you don't it'll mess with the PCIII fueling parameters. I've got a PCIII, Akra slipon & y-pipe and it's been removed. You will have had a special 'cap' screw with your Akra exhaust.

Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
yes, remove it. I have a 07R1 as well. I've got a Full System - Akrapovic, BMC Race Filter , PCIII, Quick-Shifter amongst other mods, i've just made enquiries on velocity stacks as well. My sensor is also removed. I'm currently hitting the limiter in sixth gear with one tooth down at the back, I've ordered a two down for the back, I'll test it this week-end!

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
Yes - definately remove the o2 sensor. If you don't it'll mess with the PCIII fueling parameters. I've got a PCIII, Akra slipon & y-pipe and it's been removed. You will have had a special 'cap' screw with your Akra exhaust.

Good luck!
I agree. Don't lose the block off cap that comes with the exhaust. Mine is the full Akra I put on the R6. I had the same questions as you. After getting it custom mapped at a race shop he removed it.

·
Premium Member
30,475 Posts
Removing like mentioned will work best.

On the velocity stacks there isn't any available and I'd be suprised if there ever is, unless some gets some significant result taking about the stock system and putting permanent stacks in place. The 07-08 R1's have variable stacks that change length (closing for longer and opening for shorter air tracks) so it's the best of both WORLDS... ie: midrange and overall power. Here's a picture of the open box, the split is in the middle and a small electric motor opens and closes the stacks. I have a video of it working somewhere if you'd like to see it also :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.