Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally... the details from Akrapovic on the '04 R1 full system and slip-ons. Still down on the ZX-10R (HP and Torque) but not by much. However, the ZX-10R's torque curve is smoother.

The R1 stock HP is up on the GSX-R (Akrapovic figures) and CBR1000RR from what I read.

The following figures are as reliable as you will get. Akrapovic use the same facilities for every bike/exhaust they develop so this is as good a comparison as it gets.

European Model RWHP Figures show;
'04 R1 stock > 157.9 HP
'04 R1 slip-ons > 159.6 HP
'04 R1 full system > 160.7 HP
'04 ZX-10R stock > 158.4 HP
'04 ZX-10R full system > 165.5 HP

Akrapovic will post the 04 R1 overviews on their site some time next week. Available now at the following links;

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~integra/akrafull04.pdf

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~integra/akraslipon04.pdf

·
Slow poke
237 Posts
So with a full system they are only making about ~3 more horses then stock. That'll be $2400 well spent.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I cannot help but I still like the stock exhaust most for its look! So nicely integrated. It will be interesting to compare a stock R1 with map to the exhaust + map version. I doubt that the improvement in the midrange is the exhaust but rather the map...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
oh yeah, and for Europeans at least I'd like to point the focus on the lowest row in the tech table: Legal for street use: NO.
also with 3dB more (=twice) noise it will not go unnoticed :(

·
Left 4 Dead
2,509 Posts
:thumbup

Attachments

·
2006 R6R and new 2008 ZX10R
941 Posts
Surprise

Big surprise for me...it seems that the stock system is real effective... I would like to see the stock pipe dyno curve without catalytic converter and remapped with power commander or yoshimura box...

Still there is around 8 hp max gain to the standard dyno curve midrange section...I am sure we can really feel the difference...

·
06 is my year
1,062 Posts
3HP for a full system....??WTF....Why even bother?? Better off going on a diet and losing 10 lbs, that will make you faster....

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
wow, stock 'O4 R1 is already at 97 db... :eek:

FYI...

Stock 'O2 R1 = 92 db

Akra 'O2 R1 = 98.5 db

Yosh RS3 Race = 95 db

Damn, the stock 'O4 is even louder than Yosh RS3 Race... :eek:

So should I still change the stock pipe? :dunno

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stock Exhaust System

I was surprised by the results too. Yamaha has obviously done a great job with the standard exhaust. For a while I couldn't work out why they had gone for the dual mufflers but now it all makes sense. Two mufflers allows enable the neccesary volume of exhaust gases to exit quickly so as to not restrict performance. A single muffler, with a small opening to keep noise levels legal, would restrict performance considerably more.

I think a power commander will be the first place to start to improve the mid range power dip and will likely gain more than fitting the exhaust. I do however like the look of the Akrapovic system but I can't see me paying the price just for the slightly improved looks.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,936 Posts
If you ever get behind an 04 R1 while its running you'll notice it pumps out quite a bit of air.... IMO the stock pipe is the way to go.... maybe a new mid pipe to dump the cat but that's it....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Wow, seems like Yamaha has the stock exhaust working pretty well. Thats a good thing though. Can spend your hard earned money on other mods instead of a exhaust.

·
ShInYSiDe <VS> RuBBeRSiDe
1,303 Posts
$2400.00 MAN THATS JUST DUMB.. I'm sorry AS IF... I would pay that kind of money PERIOD! AND FOR ONLY 3 MEASLY HORSEPOWER?
You have GOT to be Kidding me...

Aside from that.. THe Slip ons are going to be three quarters of that price...
Ya.. I LOVE the looks... but fo rthat kind of money.. I'll take the baffles out of the originals.. Poilsh them up big time.. and havvatter...

Jeez.. That's just disgusting....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Final Comment....

If Akrapovic can only improve 3 HP over stock with a full system I'd only be removing the CAT and installing a Power Commander to improve mid range.

Yamaha has done us all a great favour... have to feel sorry for "all" the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers as sales for '04 R1's are likely to be few and far between by the sound of it!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I'd only be removing the CAT and installing a Power Commander to improve mid range
What is your problem with the cat guys?
Everybody seems to dream of huge power improvements just by removing that cat. that is :bs , have you ever looked at a cat?
These are not designed to cost performance, most likely the cat isn't even the bottle-neck in the exhaust (note: to avoid this, the cat has a higher diameter)
Why don't you just try remapping it in the first place and see what you get. I'd really love to see if/how much the 04 benefits from custom mapping! And my focus is on midrange, not max. HP!
The max HP figures of the full AKRA system (w.o. cat) compared to stock is the proof that the cat does not really cost power. (If the cat would cost power it would be only at high rpm (high flow), where the exup is fully open).
As the R1 has plenty of top HP the main focus should be to bring up and smoothen that midrange. So: Nonsense to remove exup or cat!

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
reckless said:
good job finding those db levels, now wait for the 04 sound dbs:argue
No, the 'O4 db was there, 97db, sorry I didn't specify it... ;)

·
My RR tempts me
653 Posts
If the cat is a little larger in diameter, removing it would create a bubble in the pipe where the cat was right? Would this bubble create turbulence in the pipe or would the removal of the cat reduce backpressure?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Landshark, expect the cat to be pretty much optimized, Yamaha will not give away considerable performance just by poorly designing the cat.
Breaking the cat out of its housing is silly and chances to make the system worse are great.
I personally will leave the cat where it is. If you want to reduce back pressure you may look at slip-ons but when removing back pressure you will have to work on the intake as well.

·
Pirelli: Control is everything
262 Posts
Are you guys looking at the same charts as me? I see a gain of approx 20hp @ 7K and MUCH smoother power delivery. In my racing days that translated into lower lap times with better drive out of corners. Unless your Rossi few of us would have the talent to ride a peek motor vs. a torque motor. Now none of that changes that for $2400 that Huge $$$, but I think the graphs should have some further dissecting for a truer meaning, and what it means real world.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts