Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some research and like the Scorpio system. I did a search on this forum and found a lot of great comments on the SR-I900, but I havn't seen anything on the Scorpio Ride system. The ride is a gps system that tracks movement and sends data to your smart phone. You can use it while on a ride to record where you went, speeds, etc. Or what I like about it, is you can track where your bike is going when your not on it. Whether that be your friend/family or someone stealing it. Ride also can have a security system incorporated into it which includes an alarm and remote.

So here is my dilemma.

Option 1: Buy the SR-I900, which has automatic arm/disarm (RFID), remote kill, perimeter sensor, no tracking, no monthly fee, $315
Option 2: Buy the Scorpio Ride, no RFID, no remote kill, perimeter sensor, GPS tracking, monthly fee, $378 +$10 a month
Option 3: Buy the basic of both, RFID, no remote kill, no perimeter sensor, GPS tracking, more drain on the battery, more $$$$, $468

Let me know your opinions.

RIDE CORE SYSTEM $219
Use this with the free Ride companion app for iPhone / Android or our web-based Ride interface.

-Always-on GPS tracking
-SMS and Email Alerts
-Anti-theft geofencing
-Tilt and Shock sensor
-Ignition sensor + backup battery

SECURE KIT for RIDE CORE SYSTEM $159
An added layer of security. The RIDE Secure kit adds perimeter sensor, smart siren, and an LCD display remote. Powered by Scorpio Secure technology and only compatible with the RIDE core system.

-Perimeter sensor
-125 dB Siren
-LCD remote
-Installation harness

SR-I900 $249

-RFID, the system is able to know when the remote is in range, allowing the user to never have to reach for the remote to protect the bike.
-transceiver is capable of receiving alarm triggers from up to ½ Mile away.
-A built-in accelerometer that detects both impact and changes of angles.
-A built-in programmable multi-tone siren is included.

PERIMETER SENSOR $35.95

REMOTE IGNITION DISABLE $29.95

·
Registered
111 Posts
humm im also looking into a new alarm also. Less than a month ago some pieces of sh*ts broke into my garage and took my 05 R1. Left me heart broken especially when you didnt have theft covering it smh. Lesson learned just picked up a 2009 R1 and its sitting in my friends house in a gated community secured by ADT.

I think the Ride System Core with the Secure package added is pretty much a full alarm. the 10$ a month i'm assuming your not gonna ride through the winter you can deactivate it as long as you know its in a safe secure place. I will probably be ordering this in the very near future. Deff interested in what other members have to say.

·
Devils never cry
225 Posts
It will depend on where your bike is when you aren't riding it. For me, I have a house and my bike is kept in the garage when I'm home or out in the car. I ride to work which is on a military base so chances of it being stolen are slim to none. For my personal situation, I found it more feasible to have the Ride core kit installed and a xena disc lock alarm.

Imo, having a GPS and alarm all in one is kind of silly. If a thief just so happens to already be deaf and takes your bike with the 125db alarm blaring away, he'll eventually get it to shut up by removing your rider and passenger seat (common places for alarms) to shut it up. What else will he find in one of those locations? Why, the gps antenna and or MCM of course. One thing that sucks about the Ride system is that there's a blinking red LED on the MCM that gives the box away, and there's only so many places you can mount the antenna because it can't transmit through anything on our bikes except plastic and leather. I'd rather a thief not know my bike has a tracker which is one of the reasons why I opted against the secure kit.

Now with all that being said, I could have easily sufficed with the i900 because I'm always within "I'll kill you if you're trying to steal my bike" distance, BUT, my whole thing was the age of the i900 system (I'm in the IT field and I generally like to have the latest and greatest) I felt as though the Ride system would be more accurate and not as prone to false alarms or sensitivity deteriorating over time which are both notorious for the i900/i800 systems. So far I've been satisfied with the Ride Core and the response from me shaking my bike to the "Shock detected" prompt appearing on my phone was within 5 seconds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too live and work on a military base, so on base is not the issue. Almost everywhere off base, I don't trust anyone. As you stated, any alarm system can be deactivated and my thought on it, the alarm system is just a deterance. If they get past that then, its an insurance claim. I've noticed for the past 10 years, other people ignore car alarms anyhow. What would be the difference for a bike.

I want the system to immediately notify me (which both does). Its more of, which one provides better extras. The 900 has "keyless entry", and ride has gps. Which if I just want self tracking, I can get an app for that on my smartphone.

Is 900 not the latest, or are you just saying ride is newer?

·
Wanna race?
19 Posts
Is the perimeter system worth getting? Seems like its just a drain on the battery. In my case, I live at an apt and share parking space with another rider (I'm using his spot which is right under my window since parking my other bike in my assigned spot which is far away allowed it to get stolen back in December). So if I had perimeter sensor, wouldn't it be going off every time he goes to his bike? Or the people in next spot walk past bike to get in their car? Hell, even in a public parking spot and random people walk by it.... I don't have any experience with a bikes perimeter sensor, so no clue how sensitive it really is.

Since I was planning on getting the i900, wasn't planning on getting the perimeter sensor, but wondered what thoughts people that have it had and if it would be worth picking up.

·
Devils never cry
225 Posts
I too live and work on a military base, so on base is not the issue. Almost everywhere off base, I don't trust anyone. As you stated, any alarm system can be deactivated and my thought on it, the alarm system is just a deterance. If they get past that then, its an insurance claim. I've noticed for the past 10 years, other people ignore car alarms anyhow. What would be the difference for a bike.

I want the system to immediately notify me (which both does). Its more of, which one provides better extras. The 900 has "keyless entry", and ride has gps. Which if I just want self tracking, I can get an app for that on my smartphone.

Is 900 not the latest, or are you just saying ride is newer?
The i900 definitely notifies you quicker than the Ride. I've seen videos where the remote activates a split second BEFORE the alarm sounds lol. Well if you decide on the I900, I would definitely get the proximity sensor due to the issue I mentioned before regarding the shock/tilt sensor becoming desensitized over time. The i900 is in need of an update, I believe it came out in 2008 or 09 and scorpio hasn't really done anything since then besides the Rlink and Ride. They may have something in the works but the Ride is the best(imo) and most modern system out right now.

I will say this about the i900 (proximity wise), I don't get rattled that easily but a guy on base has one on his GSXR and I get nervous as hell when I walk by it because the proximity "chirps" are so loud and sudden lol. Idk where he mounted the unit but it sounds like it's outside the damn bike.

and just because I'm a nerdy bastard who likes to add fun facts; the threshold of pain for sound is 130db, the sirens scorpio uses for their alarms are 125.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When you guys talk about the i900 unit, that unit doesnt have GPS correct? It only sends a signal to you if you are in range of the bike via the 2 way remote. For ex - I go to college and park my bike in campus the min i walk into one of my buildings due to the walls and how in-dept the classes can be the remote will be out of range. The ride gets around this and works via satellite so as long as your phone has signal you will be notified and can track anywhere. So basically wouldn't the ride be a better option ? Still debating if i want it to be stealthy and just have GPS tracking or the alarm unit as well. hummmmm

·
Devils never cry
225 Posts
Correct, the i900 uses a 2 way FM system. You may have to ask around regarding the range because when I was in the market for an alarm, I searched damn near every bike forum out there and owners have said the average range while indoors is around 300-400ft. The ride system communicates to your mobile phone via cell network and or wifi, not GPS. If your university is anything like mine was, cell coverage is almost nonexistent indoors so you wouldn't get an immediate notification from your bike if you're not logged into your schools network. Although if you bring a laptop to class, you could always have the Ride dashboard in an open tab to check up on your bike periodically :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
That Ride option look pretty neat. First time hearing about it. I have option one and am real happy with it. Battery holds a pretty long charge. The perimeter sensor displays on the remote, visually letting you know if you've gone out of range. Its a nice little option, so you're not constantly thinking about the bikes safety.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I'm going for option 1, the Scorpio alarm and extras. If I want tracking I'll come back and look at it. Thanks for all the advice, and I'll let you know how install goes.

·
From beyond the stars
365 Posts
take lots of pics for a how to install :)
LOL I don't wanna sound like a douche when I say "that request is like asking him politely to just leave the thief the key to it in the ignition and leave his garage door opened when he's not home"

·
Registered
111 Posts
For those of you who are interested in the Scorpio Ride i did some more digging and found out that the Ride System with Alarm (or as known as the security package) comes out to a total of roughly $520.

I spoke top them about it and they said that there is no monthly plan. Its basically like a contract and you must pay for the 1 year data service to use it. I felt this was a little excessive and opted for the Scorpio Alarm.

The Scorpio Ride System seems to be an amazing system. But honestly i think id feel safer with a Scorpio i900 Alarm and a Kyptonite chain for that $520 price tag.

Data Plan for 1 year is at roughly $130 ....

·
Registered
20 Posts
not a true alarm.
but a way to track your bike for almost free.

cheep cell phone hard wired to your bike (hidden away of course).
so even if the bikes batt wires are cut the phone still has it's own batt good for a couple days.

and with some knowledge you can hook up a kill system to it.
call the phone input a code and motor dies.

and with a free program online, real time tracking can be done.

not a all in one system, but your costs could be far less.

but best way is to keep the bike very secure in the first place.

the best security is parking the bike inside, and having two very large rotts sleeping next to it. :scared.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a tip for anyone looking to purchase the Scorpio Alarm for the 09 R1. DO NOT purchase the factory harness. IT IS A WASTE OF $$$. Spent 1.5 hrs trying to figure out where the plugs go for it and still couldn't find it. Instead took me 10 mins to find the wires and use the taps that they supplied which are EXCELLENT. It was a simple plug and play without the harness and it is NOT needed. Save the $.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts