Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I gonna miss it........
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with quality alarms for their bike? I had a bike stolen a few years ago. I'd like to avoid that experience again. Appreciate any help.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Alarms don't really help,it is to easy to find the right wires and all it takes is two or three guys to pick it up and put it in a truck with the alarm going off. You are better off getting a Kryptonite lock and chain and locking it to a pole or something

·
Registered
777 Posts
Don't waste your money on an alarm. Twisted is right. Good bike thieves can still a bike in 8 seconds. It would be in a van before people could see where the sound was coming from!

I use one of those u shaped kryptonite bicycle locks along with a kryptonite chain if I am out somewhere when I feel it best to lock up.

.:bs

PS be VERY careful with those brake locks! they don't stop anyone from picking your bike up and they also cause ugly damage if you forget to remove before tking off!:error

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Oh man I have seen people do that:error :cryin

·
Registered
313 Posts
my r6 was stolen last summer.:( i want to put a video camera on were my bike is going to be. i live in a crappy part of town.

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
You want a great alarm? Get a baby monitor. I got one for 30 bucks and it saved my bike when some scumbag bypassed the alarm on my garage. It got the thief a splitting headache too. Oh I meant to say split head.

·
I gonna miss it........
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright.....that's what I thought. I'll just spend more time on securing the garage well. I'll definitely look into those u-locks. I found another that stands up better to various cutters and freon and is easier to use called the Pro-Sport lock or something like that. I'll track down the website here in a minute. An idea I think I'll use on any lock is connecting a cord with a small placard or flag or something that will reach the handle bars. It will take an extra 5 seconds to through on the bar and will be a nice reminder. I think everybody would eventually forget sometime. I've seen two guys fall over and scratch up beautiful bikes when they forgot. We have stuff like that on some of the aircraft I operate that would work out well. When I come up with something practical, I'll put it on the forum. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
I've seen locks for the throttle/brake lever(hard to forget!) to stop someone from quietly rolling the bike away at night, and of course the joyriders, but I don't think there is a lock made that can stop the pros. For the garage there are the big jobbies that secure to the floor and the huge lock pin goes through the rear wheel; don't spend the big bucks on the supur-duper model, a reciprocating saw with the right blade goes through the rim and tire in seconds. Some of those floor models are also designed to accept a chain for the frame, IMO the best chance of keeping your ride. Check your garage - there's a story of a guy who lost his Ducati. He had a locked garage with an alarm on both dorrs; they cut a hole in the back wall with a chainsaw!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Better story than these, a freind of mine had his bike locked in his garage. His garage has 2 entrances, the main roll up door, and a coventional side door that swung out. He never used the side door, so he lean about 300 lbs of ladders up against the door. Two F'n morons decided it would be easier to pry open the side door than to go through the main door. They popped the bolt on the door and what a surprise they got............ One guy got a broken shoulder and foot, the other got picked up by the cops running like hell down the street with a crow bar in hand.

Gotta love justice!!!!!!!:bash

·
I eat my R1
496 Posts
tccoggs said:
Better story than these, a freind of mine had his bike locked in his garage. His garage has 2 entrances, the main roll up door, and a coventional side door that swung out. He never used the side door, so he lean about 300 lbs of ladders up against the door. Two F'n morons decided it would be easier to pry open the side door than to go through the main door. They popped the bolt on the door and what a surprise they got............ One guy got a broken shoulder and foot, the other got picked up by the cops running like hell down the street with a crow bar in hand.

Gotta love justice!!!!!!!:bash
HAHAHA!!! Hell yeah. Love that story. Made my day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts