Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Alcohol Carbs

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  silverado 
#1 ·
Does Anyone Have Experience Or Know Someone With Experience Running A '99 R1 On Alcohol?

#2 ·
no one that i have seen. alky is nasty stuff when it comes to orings, fuel pumps and such. plus u need to run temp sensors on each cylinder to check for fueling. old rule of thumb on alky gsxr motors.. was double jet size than on pump gas..but not always.

#3 ·
methanol in a r1 eh? now that would be interesting..:flex:you'd want good compression from the engine for a start. and i'm pretty sure as a loose rule of thumb you need approx twice the fuel delivery? so that would be massive jets.... and i guess you'd need more air to take advantage also? (ramair i guess).and if using the std mikuni 40mm carbs i don't even know if the emulsion tubes would even keep up with the required flow? .... and i'm guessing a different fuel pump would be needed too?...anyway i have not heard of one person on the r1 forum ever doing it.....but you never know? are you yourself contemplating doing it? if so give us some stats on your engine so far.:hellobye

#5 ·
Currently I Have A Milled Down Head That Is Ported And Polished.
Mallory Comp 110 Fuel Pump.
K&n Air Filter.
Factory Pro Jet Kit.
After Market Clutch Setup With Heavy Springs.
Full Akapovik Race Exhaust.
And The Whole Engine Was Rebuilt Last Winter. ( Everything! )

#6 ·
i also own a factory pro jet kit... is yours the one with titanium needles? if not i think you need them with methanol? also if memory serves me correctly, the biggest main jet in the kit was 137.5? i'd guess not even close to being big enough for methanol.... let alone if you decided on ramair aswell. i'd contact marc at factory-pro if i was you. but keep us informed. also i assume this is for a bike and not a buggy or some sort of car project? why not flatslide carbs on pump gas?

#7 ·
It Is For My Sandcar.
I Am Pretty Sure The Needles That Came With My Jet Kit Were Not Aluminum.
I Had Mark Put To Gether A Special Jet Kit For Me Because Of The Mods I Had Done To The Engine.
The Biggest Jet That Came In My Kit Was A 142.5
I Ended Up Using The 140 Jet To Get The Best Performance Though.
I Am Sure That Once The Carbs Start Squirting Meth Those Jets Will Need To Get A Bunch Bigger Than They Are Now.

I Recently Asked Marc If He Could Help Me Get The Right Jets To Run Mehtanol, But He Said That He Did Not Have Any Experience Wtih It So He Didn't Want To Give Me Any Bad Advice.

I Have Found A Couple Of Places That Do This Type Of Work On Motorcycle Carbs. One Is Ftz Performance In Missouri. They Build Alcohol Race Engines For Mini Sprint Cars. So Far They Seem To Be The Most Knowledgable About It. I Plan To Keep Looking And See Who Is The Most Knowlegable And Experienced Before I Go Sending Them An Expensive Set Of Carbs To Play With.

#11 ·
lol, yeah the capitals thing is annoying.... anyway if you have titanium needles they will be like this ( the pic). but if i was you, i'd go with flatslides.

Attachments

#18 ·
Methanol needs roughly 2.4 x volume than gasoline
guys i have heard of doing it on flat track speedway stuff just drill the jets to size , some even removing the jet for enough flow, it is much more forgiving if rich but damaging if lean,
You will need a method of introducing gas for cold starts, flush the fuel system and change the oil at the end of each days use.
Probably simpler to use an oxygenated fuel .

#21 ·
I wrench on a midget race car that runs a 750 Kawi engine and we run cv carbs(the rules took our flat slides away).We run the CMP fuel now and are up in the 215 jet range.When we ran the flat slides we also ran C14 and the jetting was in the 190 range.These fuels may work for you and will be cheaper than alchohol and less work at the end of the play day.Heres a link to the VP site and some info on the fuels we have used.Good luck with your venture!

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/index2.html

CMP
Special formula for high performance unrestricted "run what ya brung" racing competition. High level of oxygenates may require enriching the fuel mixture. Performs well in race engines up to 13:1. For higher compression applications, see VP's DRT formula.

? Color: Purple
? Oxygenated: Yes
? Motor Octane: 104.5
? Specific Gravity: .725 at 60? F
C14 Plus
Recommended for high RPM engines with ultra high CRs over 14:1 when additional octane is required for better detonation protection, while maintaining the same burn rate and specific gravity of C14.

? Color: Clear
? Motor Octane: 115
? Specific gravity: .696 at 60? F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.