Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sportrider.com just dynoed all 4 new production big boys on the same day, same dyno!! One right after the other was dynoed. so here it is. go there for the info if you want.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I believe that their dyno does provide some ram-air effect. Although, there have been some questions raised about how effective it is. Regardless, the ram-air effect would be the same for all of the bikes. The only question is whether or not the bikes are level, i.e. all blueprinted samples provided by the manufacturers (probably) or a mix of dealer stock and manufacturer sourced.

I think that these engines are close to what is possible with current technology given reliability versus max power constraints. For example, the R1 has a lower compreession ratio than the ZX-10R. Therefore, other things being equal, it will produce less power, but will be more reliable. Regardless, and perhaps more importantly, the current Superstock rules allow the substition of the stock gaskets with thinner versions; thereby, increasing the compression ratio and commensurate power.

Okay! The above is my rationalization as to why it is OK with me that the Kawi produces more power (if in fact it does). Apparently, when MCN tested the bikes, the R1 was more powerful than the ZX-10R. However, I am not sure that their dyno provided ram-air which might account for the discrepancy since the Kawi's ram-air is probably more effective than the R1's (higher pressure location, etc.).

·
Registered
785 Posts
BD - I am sure that this really bothered you!

Tough call between the two, but probably for an out of the box track day bike, the Kawi may be the winner (although I hate to admit it)!

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
PurpleLion said:
BD - I am sure that this really bothered you!

Tough call between the two, but probably for an out of the box track day bike, the Kawi may be the winner (although I hate to admit it)!
Its nice! but its not the be all of everything though. heck i wouldn't wanna admit it either if it were me, but it is what it is good bad or indifferent.

BD

·
Registered
785 Posts
Actually, looking at the torque numbers, it seems like the Kawi may be more of a ringer than the others. I don't recall ever seeing Kawi torque numbers that were so much greater than the Suzuki!

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
Yeah the peak Torque #'s are higher than the g1k by 2ft-lbs but the bottom end torque for the g1k is still the best until the midrange. But your right 80ft-lbs is higher than the other graphs we've seen.

BD

·
I suck less than you
466 Posts
Thats a fairly nasty drop in the One's Torque curve don't you think?

Also, whilst it has the lowest power and second lowest torque ratings, it appears (on paper of course) that the CBR may be perhaps the easiest to ride in terms of the way it deilvers its power. The reviews I've read so far seem to support this idea.....

But then its all just speculation from where I'm sitting isn't it.....?

·
Banned
661 Posts
PurpleLion said:
I believe that their dyno does provide some ram-air effect. Although, there have been some questions raised about how effective it is. Regardless, the ram-air effect would be the same for all of the bikes. The only question is whether or not the bikes are level, i.e. all blueprinted samples provided by the manufacturers (probably) or a mix of dealer stock and manufacturer sourced.

I think that these engines are close to what is possible with current technology given reliability versus max power constraints. For example, the R1 has a lower compreession ratio than the ZX-10R. Therefore, other things being equal, it will produce less power, but will be more reliable. Regardless, and perhaps more importantly, the current Superstock rules allow the substition of the stock gaskets with thinner versions; thereby, increasing the compression ratio and commensurate power.

Okay! The above is my rationalization as to why it is OK with me that the Kawi produces more power (if in fact it does). Apparently, when MCN tested the bikes, the R1 was more powerful than the ZX-10R. However, I am not sure that their dyno provided ram-air which might account for the discrepancy since the Kawi's ram-air is probably more effective than the R1's (higher pressure location, etc.).
How would they use ram-air on a stationary dyno? They may have a huge fan in the front cooling it but that fan can't come anywhere near the amount of air coming by at 140+

1 - 20 of 112 Posts