Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK i have been riding for a while now and have just recently been trying to wheelie.
I Have an r1 2000mod. Before i have just powerwheelie in first, but it gets up way too fast and its too dangerous.. so now i want to clutch it up in second gear, but i cant get it up..
I ride slow in 2 and increase the throttle slowly till i come to about5000- 7000rpm and then pull the clutch in and bring the rpm to about 9000-10000 and then let the clutch out. but i cant seem to get the front up and it feels like if the front lifts a littlebit i will run out of rpms...Anyone got any tips?

·
El Diablo Numero Uno
1,021 Posts
I gotta practice. I looped my 02 R1 back in 2004 attempting a stand-up. I could always get it up, but never long enough for it to be awesome or I guess get to the balance point. One day, I just decided to lean into a bit more (searching for the BP). Next thing ya know....I'm in the hospital.

I have been spooked ever since on stand-ups. I can do sit-downs and knee-in-the-seaters all day long....but something about the elusive stand-up still cares the shit outta me. Plus, my bike is really frikkin nice (not bragging) and I don't want to phuck it up. Might go out and buy a salvage title stunt bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i want to learn how to wheelie my r1. but not sure at what rpm to clutch it at. any advice? and someone said first gear is too dangerous to learn on

·
catch me if you can
79 Posts
I was bringing it up in 1st to a 10 o'clock and could ride it for a block or two. never any issues with looping or feeling like i was bout to. i couldnt get it up in any other gear. i went -1 +2 heard that was a good gearing. but it sucks on the top end. i ride with a bunch of gsxr riders, i cant be lossin my top end.

·
Crack that throttle.
14 Posts
i wouldnt recomend clutching(hard on the bike) im more of a load the front and power it up kinda guy...but imm only alright at wheelies so what do i know. good info moto

·
Top Out R1 190 mph
153 Posts
I can do stand up and sit down wheelie no problem. The only issue and problem is that my bike starts to wobble sometims when im doing wheelie. The whole bike wobbles.

Tire pressure is 29-30 psi. Any ideas?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great info. I'm still not clear on what rpm range is best for clutching 2nd gear on an 09 r1. I'm coming from an r6, and clearly the r1 has much more low end grunt.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle App

·
I got this ****
4,927 Posts
do you shift through your wheelies? I have been having the problem of running into my rev limiter with the front end up and I want to carry my speed/wheelie through the gears....any tips???

when i was trying it on a pit bike it was much easier to shift through without clutch, but i dont wanna loop the r1 when the power hits..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been practicing on my 06 R1 and I can usually start off in 2nd gear around 45-55mph and get to about 85mph before it goes back down. That's me trying to chase it out right? since it's mostly throttle.

Another Question: Yesturday I was doing wheelies with my friend and I did a pretty high wheelie where my legs decided to fly outwards(dont know how else to describe it lol) and I almost sh!t myself. Do you think i was around balance point? It was pretty damn high! Oh and till this day I still dont cover my rear brake. I dont know how to, or maybe im doing it without knowing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wanting to learn to stunt the only time my front wheel leaves the ground is sometimes when I'm coming out of a corner. Would anyone have advice on where a good start point would be to learn to stunt.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
1998 UK R1
4 Posts
I have a video clip we did of a ride in 1998, you can see rev counter, speedo and through the screen, you can see RPM and speed etc as wheelie is initiated and what speeds etc BUT I cannot upload it to you tube becuase in the UK we could be prosecuted as other parts of the clip show our licence plates I have no way of editing the clip just to show the wheelie which I would be quite happy to post on you tube !!!!

121 - 140 of 180 Posts
About this Discussion
179 Replies
111 Participants
Kenzilla
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing