Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ive been power wheeling my thunderace for a bit now and want to get into clutch ups. Would it be safe to start in 1st gear? Trying to clutch it up in 1st gear at slow speeds on a liter sounds dangerous to me... Maybe i should try in second?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started in first gear doing little power wheelies just to get use to the balance and power. I wouldn't recommend clutching in first tho since balance is harder at slower speeds and first gear is touchy. Try second between 50-60mph and slowly work your rpms up until you're comfortable. Just don't get busted on one wheel....$112 fine and three points.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Johannesburg, South-Africa
912 Posts
I must have the most under powered r1 in the world... I spend most of the day trying to do power wheelies...
I just could not get the front end to come up more than an inch and it would drop straight away... out of frustration I tried sitting as far back as i could, keeping my arms and back dead straight with my head up (trying to get my weight as far back as I could) then pulling off and pinning it. with no luck!

I have watched a couple of vids but as im still a beginner i would like to master the power ups first

please help!

·
Rubber side down
3,272 Posts
On my 04 I found that a light bounce in 2nd at 6.5k and hard throttle finds me a perfect balance point around 11.5k where I can ride it out. However, realize that the 04 makes 70whp (wot of course) between 7-11k... becareful cause it will creep up on you quick. I haven't tried clutching up yet cause I can bounce up third at around 8k pretty damn easy also. On the R6 I had to clutch up 2nd even with sprockets, but I really don't find a need in the 04.

For you 04 boys, if you are clutching up what gear and Rs are you turning? Also, do you find it a lot easier to ride out a stand up if you clutched up at lower Rs?

-Ryan
On my 04 @ 70 in second gear you can clutch up easy or power bounce both work just fine
stock gearing full exhaust filter smog plates pc3 and dyno

·
Im Back Baby Grrrr
57 Posts
I must have the most under powered r1 in the world... I spend most of the day trying to do power wheelies...
I just could not get the front end to come up more than an inch and it would drop straight away... out of frustration I tried sitting as far back as i could, keeping my arms and back dead straight with my head up (trying to get my weight as far back as I could) then pulling off and pinning it. with no luck!

I have watched a couple of vids but as im still a beginner i would like to master the power ups first

please help!
Question one . Do you KNOW what a powerband is ?

Question 2 Can you identify where your bike hits it in RPM ?

Assuming you DONT its the rev range where your bike starts to launch the beginning of the power band is the safe range to start a wheelie...

Look your overthinking it i guarantee it , take off from a stop and cruise about 2k from power band . Look straight . Centered on the bike quickly but smoothly accelerate up to the point bike starts to launch . Close that god dam throte shut oike your racing to some gina. Immediately whack it back open . Dont go to far the front should come up rather quickly.

I know what your doing. Your nervous about it cause you ve seen all the idiots out there who ride way beyond their limits the first day they get their bike and clip their shit. Dont anticipate anything. Quit fighting it . Come too far up just crack the throttle shut .

In hindsight what am i saying " QUIT BEIN A LITTLE BITch"

·
Johannesburg, South-Africa
912 Posts
The response ive been waiting for!

1. Yes I do know what a powerband is (my prev bike was a banshee)
2. around 8,500k rpms? I think

some very good advise... let me practice not being a little bitch for a while and hopefully I can get it up!

Thanks again!

Question one . Do you KNOW what a powerband is ?

Question 2 Can you identify where your bike hits it in RPM ?

Assuming you DONT its the rev range where your bike starts to launch the beginning of the power band is the safe range to start a wheelie...

Look your overthinking it i guarantee it , take off from a stop and cruise about 2k from power band . Look straight . Centered on the bike quickly but smoothly accelerate up to the point bike starts to launch . Close that god dam throte shut oike your racing to some gina. Immediately whack it back open . Dont go to far the front should come up rather quickly.

I know what your doing. Your nervous about it cause you ve seen all the idiots out there who ride way beyond their limits the first day they get their bike and clip their shit. Dont anticipate anything. Quit fighting it . Come too far up just crack the throttle shut .

In hindsight what am i saying " QUIT BEIN A LITTLE BITch"

·
Stunt it! Crash it! Repair it!
413 Posts
The response ive been waiting for!

1. Yes I do know what a powerband is (my prev bike was a banshee)
2. around 8,500k rpms? I think

some very good advise... let me practice not being a little bitch for a while and hopefully I can get it up!

Thanks again!
Did I miss the part out?

·
413 Posts
I'm so........... close to rocking idle seat standers and staggered wheelies. I think I need to either go with bigger gearing or turn my idle up a little bit more. I'm currently running +5 in the rear and 3k idle. I think I should try 4k.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

·
413 Posts
All i wanted was some pointers / help not some internet tough guy trying to show off...
Internet tough guy...............?:confused:

I've been busting my ass off at the lot for the past 3 months. I'm not here to brag or troll. I'm just posting facts to help people out.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4075233#post4075233

You got questions? I'm not expert but I've been putting in work and I'm willing to give you tips.

No hate. All love.........
:tocoo:

141 - 160 of 180 Posts
About this Discussion
179 Replies
111 Participants
Kenzilla
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing