Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Stunt it! Crash it! Repair it!
413 Posts
Tried some FIS wheelies last night, working the FB, not HB. Balance is weird as hell. Not sure if I should completely extend my left leg or keep my knee up against the seat.

I feel more centered with my knee in the seat but I know I'm suppose to keep that left leg straight.

Anyone got tips?

·
413 Posts
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!! I'm rocking BP with my sitdown wheelies!!!!! Balancing these is still though but I'm getting better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
riding a 05 R1 and new to wheelies and somewhat nervous at starting them as i don't want to ruin the bike. lol.

im wondering, if im cruising around 20mph or so, and want to attempt to clutch it up, how high should i bring the rpms before dropping the clutch. im not interested in riding out a wheelie at the BP, i just want to bring it up a fair amount that it looks good.

thanks

·
413 Posts
riding a 05 R1 and new to wheelies and somewhat nervous at starting them as i don't want to ruin the bike. lol.

im wondering, if im cruising around 20mph or so, and want to attempt to clutch it up, how high should i bring the rpms before dropping the clutch. im not interested in riding out a wheelie at the BP, i just want to bring it up a fair amount that it looks good.

thanks
Trail and error? Just practice and listen to the sound of your motor. You really shouldn't be focused on your gauges rather just looking forward.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Start somewhere around 7.5k. Also as someone said above, pay attention to the sound as you clutch in a clutch out and get away from looking at the tach. The jump is easier to deal with while you are looking up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
My R1 eats M1.
457 Posts
[/url][/IMG]

Its that I don't like high speed wheelie's I go 2nd gear about 33 miles and up it goes with clutch and punching it high in the rpm zone. don't know how far it goes i don't look at it. but anyway while riding the wheelie i'm at a speed of 70miles i don't like those speeds at all, while riding on the back wheel i like the slow dirt bike wheelies but this bike just won't go up then.

any tips from R1 wheelie pro's??

·
The Poe Poe!
636 Posts
If I had it my way, I'd make "wheelies" legal and would go Everywhere on the back tire!!

12 years ago on my 02 R1....

·
0-Jailtime in 2.9 seconds
249 Posts
I used to power wheelie my GSXR quite easily - in first, I just gassed it hard from about 5k RPM and it came up, once I felt the balance point I could hold it for a good distance before setting it down.
The more I did it, the easier it became.

Now on the R1, it feels like starting all over again! I got some lift but still gathering the courage to keep it at balance point...

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is your height and weight? Ive been clutching up in 2nd @ around 7500 30mph or so. This was when I was 250lbs. I'm down to 208 (6'0") now and need to get out and ride to see how things have changed. Id love to be able to just power wheelie. I can do it over humps in the street but not on the flat road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Poe Poe!
636 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 250 isn... even WAY back in 2000 when this vid was shot I was around 230 isn

On my old 929RR.... I come from motocross so I just clutch it up all the time out of habit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1kqun0c4OY

·
Miguel - LuCkY NJ Officer
2,557 Posts
looks like the perfect place to practice

161 - 180 of 180 Posts
About this Discussion
179 Replies
111 Participants
Kenzilla
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing