Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· I'd rather be riding
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the alternator output on the 2002 is?
I am wondering because I use an electric vest, heated grips, radar detector and PIAA driving lights on my '99 and am wondering if I can get away with all that on the new bike.

· On the road again...
101 Posts
Wow !
That means 490W / 12V = 40 amps !

Someone knows how much current is normally drawn from the alternator in 2002/2004 stock models ?

Cause myself I just ordered 85W 2500lumens H4 bulbs, and I am looking at buying Dual-Star heating grips (cold season started here in Montreal!), and Heat-troller jacket+pants liners. I also already have a 12V lighter socket under the passenger seat to charge my cell phone; and I was looking at ordering Starcom-1 Advanced to get music/GPS and stuff.

Also, I'll get a Zumo GPS as soon as we can get them here in Montreal.

Here we can't own radar detectors, else of course I would have one too ;)

Gotta calculate that load and leave some for the battery charging ! :)

dunhamg, what's your electric vest ?

· I'd rather be riding
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't realize how old this thread was. I actually retrofitted a 2002 alternator to my '99 R1 to get the extra power. But, I really haven't done too much riding on the old R1 lately. I've done most of my riding on the '03 FJR lately.

The speedometer seems to have given up the ghost on the '99 R1 at 107100 miles. I tried replacing the sensor and that doesn't give me anything it still just reads "0" mph. I'm using a Sigma bike speedo at the moment until I get it figured out.

· On the road again...
101 Posts
Well, it's better than my good friend with a CBR954 who found out this summer that it's odometer topped out at 99 999km, and didn't reset to 0 !

The trick he found: switch it to miles, so that he can go to 99 999miles; however, he's doing 40-50 thousand km/year (25-31k miles/y) on his bike ! it's a LOT here in Montreal, we can ride 8-9 months per year only!

He called honda, and they wouln't give a solution other than replace it; however since he wasn't the 1st owner they wouln't send one free of charge.

The bad thing is he didn't have time to top out 99 999miles; he died three weeks ago, his back tire must have ripped or something... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.