Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ah the joys of the twisties
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've decided to go racing after much debate,the thing is it's gonna be on a 2001 R1 and have a feeling I'm gonna get thumped by all the new machines out there or am I worrying too much.

I'm under no illusions about not being in the top ten or anything like that but a bit concerened about getting lapped a few times

wadja think :beer

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
if you think you're gonna get lapped and that you suck, don't actually race. Do track days the first year and improve your riding until you think you will no longer be lapped, but instead you will lap others and give the top riders a decent match.

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
I haven't started racing yet but I have done several trackdays.

I bought a 1990 FZR600 so that I didn't have to worry about crashing an expensive bike while learning my limits on the track.

I was kinda of worred about the same thing but I found that even on a 13 year old 600 I spanked nearly everyone out there (at least in the intermediate classes). And these guys were on modern 600 and 1000's. I wouldn't worry about having a 4 year old bike. At this level it's nearly all the rider.

Just remember...

Some guy with a modern 1000cc bike talking shit to you about how fast he is, acting like the big man on campus, and talking smack about your bike - Free.

Waving as you lap him on a 13 year old 600cc bike cuz you're a better rider - Priceless! :yesnod

·
Ah the joys of the twisties
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swedie said:
if you think you're gonna get lapped and that you suck, don't actually race. Do track days the first year and improve your riding until you think you will no longer be lapped, but instead you will lap others and give the top riders a decent match.
It's not the case that i think i suck,in fact on equal machinery i think i'd do allright.

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
Well I look at it this way. When I took the California Superbike School out here at Sears Point....I was wondering if I had what it took to be on the track and if I could hang with some of the people in there. By the end of the day...there was only ONE person that passed me...it was someone that had LOTS of track experience already and he had to be in the class to get to the higher level class. NO ONE else passed me. The instrctors were impressed that I was moving along quite quickly and were always telling me to follow their lead and it was a lot of fun!!! The only bad thing was by the time we were coming in to let the next class go out...my right hand was numb :no I guess I was gripping a little too hard going around at that pace :crash Don't worry about how fast you are going...go out there and learn and have some fun. Just do the best that you can....and remember to HAVE FUN!!!:hellobye :thumbup

·
Registered
177 Posts
D3LS M said:
It's not the case that i think i suck,in fact on equal machinery i think i'd do allright.
Go and enjoy m8 I'm joining the 250's on the track and I was feeling the same way I've got a lot off m8's in the bemsee they laughed and told me to get my arse in gear and enjoy and it would'nt be long till I'm doing allright up there its a learning process the first season forget the bike its down to you as a rider and look at what you say above :thumbup

·
02 for sale
591 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the machinery; my buddy used to have this argument with me all the time about weather or not in club racing the machine can compensate for poor riding skills. I said it was true only to a certain point:

The rider who has the skills will compensate for his bike having less HP buy having the best set-up and utilizing that set-up to allow him higher corner speed entry/exit and be consistent.

The others will rely on the HP of the bike to make up for the difference on the straights, but when you pass them on a technical section of the track, usually the gap you can create will increase to a point where they won't be able to make it up on the straights....Why do I think that is the case....I was the guy who was being passed in the slower tchnical corners where my buddy would outbrake me and smoothly carry much more corner speed than I would. Then I learned that the machine can only take you so far, the rest you have to learn how to use that HP.
either way it is a lot less expensive to race something that you can find parts everywhere on ebay....

John

·
Bulldogger
5,880 Posts
Its not like somebody on an 02-03, heck even an 04 is gonna just walk right past you in the straights anyways. Your talking only a few horsepower difference for the most part.

·
Super Squidly
338 Posts
Dude, Don't worry about your bike at all!!! Take a look at results all around the world on amatuer racing circuits and there is a good mix of bikes all the way through the podium. There's a lot of people around the US on literbikes that can't touch the times of some people on sv650's and fzr400's. Worry more about racing against yourself than against others. Unless you are a safety risk to others cuz youre going so slow.

·
My bikes keep me sane.
5,273 Posts
:iamwithst
Just go out and have fun. I think you'll be impressed by what you can do on an "old dog". Race the old R1 until you can honestly benefit by upgrading suspension, gearing, etc. If you go out there without the worries, you've already improved.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anyone remember Eric Bostrom kicking ass on an underpowered 800cc bike last year? All in the rider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts