Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see that the recommended retail price appears to be $11,699 (5,800 pounds sterling).
This appears to be a bargain compared to what we pay in the UK $18,100 (8,999 pounds sterling).

A friend has told me that this is just an anomaly caused by the way the prices are quoted ..... In the UK the price includes VAT (tax) whereas in the USA you still have to add federal and local taxes to the quoted price.

Is this true? What is the normal price of a new R1 including all taxes (ie. to be able to ride away on it)?

Thanks.

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:iamwithst

Same here, I'll give you a breakdown of prices in South Africa.

Yamaha YZF R1 2007 R 122 000 or 17 430 US dollars.

Parts are as expensive, but it's all about imports, taxes and sh*t like that.

So enjoy your cheap prices in the US :crash

·
The Goldenchild
4,451 Posts
Even with our federal/local taxes, we still don't pay nearly those amounts (unless you were buying the LE edition)... I think even if the stealership puts the screws to you, one might walk out the door with a brand new bike for under $12,000 US. If you're patient and shop around you can find one for a lot less than that.

·
9,925 Posts
Even with our federal/local taxes, we still don't pay nearly those amounts (unless you were buying the LE edition)... I think even if the stealership puts the screws to you, one might walk out the door with a brand new bike for under $12,000 US. If you're patient and shop around you can find one for a lot less than that.
:thumbup

I agree, it's all about the stealerships. I tried to import myself but with the import taxes, shipping and licensing it came to about the same less the hassle.

But for us it's a normal price, we are use to it. Same with cars, very expensive.

It does keep the sport a bit clean though, cause not every 20 year old can afford an R1 or any of the other litre bikes. So indirectly it's saving lives while busting our wallets.

:fork It's still worth every cent though, I love it :lhumper:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

:thumbup Thanks for clearing that up.

It would appear I was right and we are getting ripped off in the good old UK! (again!) ..... But not much more than our South African friends!

·
fast
3,614 Posts
i have to pay Rupiah 275,000,000 or US$28,900 here in Indonesia for a 2007/2008 R1( include everything..)
crazy price huh..???
dieyoung, i think your african price still not expensive as my indonesia price....

very high price here push everybody do some illegal import.....illegal import a litre bikes will cost US$ 13,000.....but no license, no tax, no plate...have to watch for po-po everytime we ride....if there is inspection at the road....they take our bike and arrest us...

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
i have to pay Rupiah 275,000,000 or US$28,900 here in Indonesia for a 2007/2008 R1( include everything..)
crazy price huh..???
dieyoung, i think your african price still not expensive as my indonesia price....

very high price here push everybody do some illegal import.....illegal import a litre bikes will cost US$ 13,000.....but no license, no tax, no plate...have to watch for po-po everytime we ride....if there is inspection at the road....they take our bike and arrest us...
:dollar :scared

·
9,925 Posts
crazy price huh..???

:scared That is fukkin insane :whtfu:

Okay I won't complian too much, seems like the UK, Sweden and South africa are just about on the same price page.

Sympathy for those crazy prices, now that is just opening a huge door for illegal imports, good luck. I guess it's time to pack up and head to the US ... but the weather is a bit better here, summer now and all year riding weather :crash

·
The Goldenchild
4,451 Posts
crazy price huh..???

:scared :scared that's a real nice car or truck in the US!:fact I'd hate to see car prices over there!

·
9,925 Posts
You seem to forget that we also earn more than our US counterparts.

Which is part of why it's not so unfair.
True, luckilly I earn in US dollar and live in South Africa so it helps a bit.

:fork Ride Safe :fork

·
fast
3,614 Posts
:scared :scared that's a real nice car or truck in the US!:fact I'd hate to see car prices over there!

yes...the price of big bike is insane here...the goverment group big bike as a very very high cost tax stuff ...same tax amount with import cars like bentley, ferrari etc...
last october i just bought a 2007 Harley Ultra Classic brand new, i pay Rupiah 410,000,000 or US$ 43,000.....:dollar :dollar

a new BMW 320i cost about US$ 60,000 here..its only a BMW 320i man..:yuk:

so i feel u guys at US should happy with ur cheap price for everything....

·
fast
3,614 Posts
:scared That is fukkin insane :whtfu:

Okay I won't complian too much, seems like the UK, Sweden and South africa are just about on the same price page.

Sympathy for those crazy prices, now that is just opening a huge door for illegal imports, good luck. I guess it's time to pack up and head to the US ... but the weather is a bit better here, summer now and all year riding weather :crash

u can ride all year long here too, but the price of big bike will kill our saving...
did i mention i did a illegal import..??:secret:

:bash :bash :bash :crash :crash :crash

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sanaga, I thought Harleys were ridiculously over priced in the States.

I think the US doesn't have the tariffs that some other countries have. We seem to be addicted to cheap imports. Most of the time you can get bikes cheaper here than the MSRP, at least if you're not preordering it. I got my '05 for $10,315 out the door including 5% state sales tax and title and license fees. I think it worked out to $9785 before taxes. Anyway the MSRP was $10,999 in '05. I did buy it in September, but most dealers were out of R1s by then. Harley guys always pay an extra $2000 for their bikes and us smart guys (sportbikers) pay $1000 less!

·
Registered
122 Posts
The price difference is, as most things are, mostly defined by the market i.e. what people are willing to pay. If nobody in the U.K. were willing or able to pay more than 6,000 Pounds for a literbike (litrebike), then that's probably what the price would be.

Some other things like the cost of shipping come into play also, but to a lesser extent. Keep in mind that a motorcycle shipped from Japan needs only to come across the Pacific to California to get to the U.S. but it needs to go much further to get to Europe or the U.K. That doesn't explain our Indonesian friend's problem, but I think that's more a governmental issue than a free-market one.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You seem to forget that we also earn more than our US counterparts.

Which is part of why it's not so unfair.
I'm not so sure we do? I know someone who works for Honda here in the UK and he complains that his American counterparts doing the same job are getting paid about 10,000 pounds more than him!

We may earn more in some areas ..IT for example ...but I also think we pay more tax ...so the net income, which is all that really matters, is probably similar..... we also have to pay more for our property ... so in reality, when it comes to spare income for big ticket 'luxuries' like sports bikes I think we have less disposable income than our American colleagues.

ps. I know for many of us a sportsbike is a 'necessity' and not a 'luxury' Lol!

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
Here in the US we don't get the immobolizer and chip in the keys like you guys. Not sure how much of a difference that makes price wise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.