Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if I'm the only person here that bought the RL quickshifter and is not happy with it so far. I have a 2009 R1 and so far the shifter has been nothing but trouble in my world. Annitori is trying to work with me but it’s been over a month and I am still without a functional product. The problem I was having with my shifter is that the shifter would engage itself without me pressing the shift lever. What you get when the system is not working right is like you put bad gas in your tank; it gives you a quick stall before running again or some time the shifter function would just stop working. The worst part is when the stall is a little longer then quick and if you're on the gas, it's like pulling the clutch lever while revving then letting the clutch go. I took the system off completely and the bike runs 100% again. RL sent me a new shifter but not the wire loom that connects to the spark plugs and the same thing happened with the new system. The customer service rep and I spoke about it and so far the problem appears to be the wire loom that is shorting out the shifter itself. My luck to get a faulty wire loom. On the 20th of April, I was in VA with the bike and the bike cut off while riding and would not start at all. I knew it was the quickshifter because when I unplugged the quickshifter from the loom, previously, the bike did not want to start, so on the side of the road, I pulled out the R1 tool kit and had to take the bike completely apart to disconnect the loom from the plugs. Once that was done, the bike started and ran perfectly for the rest of the trip. When the product is working properly it is the best feeling in shifting I've ever had in my 13 years of riding. I rode with the quickshifter working properly for only about two or three days and now with it off the bike again, it just does not feel right shifting without it anymore. I know Annitori RL quickshifters are good products when working properly, lets see how good they are when things go wrong. So far the turn over time to get me quickshifting again is not looking good. The first replacement they sent me came very quickly. The only concern was that I suggested to return the wire loom also but they told me to not send it, only send the quickshifter itself. The second quickshifter ran good for one day before it started shorting out also, so far I sent it out on April 24th, Annitori received it on the 27th and I called them today, the 8th of May, for the third time since they've received it, and I was told that my case is still not resolved and cannot continue to send me good shifters to possibly burn them out again. I was told the boss was being sent an e-mail and they would call me tomorrow. I've never received a call back from this company as of yet from the other occasions I was told I'd have my call return. I'll keep every posted how this matter is going

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
May be I should mention all the Mods my bike has that may have upset the RL Quickshifter:
-Flashed ECU by Jett Tunning
-Smog Block off plate
-PCV with custome Map (173 hp, 166 corrected, 83lbs of torque)
-Speed healer
-Ceramic coated mid-pipe with Leo Vince Carbon fiber exhaust
-Air Box mod
-BMC race Exhaust
-Speigler lines, EBC pro pads, Ebay wave rotors (changing to Galfer)
-Euro gold and black look conversion
-Shorty levers
-Tinted wind screen
-WCW suspension set-up
-Michelin Power Pure
-Custom Grips
-H.I.D.
-RL Quickshifter (hopefully back soon)

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now, I feel like I'm the last man out. As much research I've done, it seem like I'm the only person with a problem with this unit. I know its the unit but in the back of my mind, I'm thinking, what if my bike is retarded and do not want a quickshifter function on it. What if a mod I did is messing with the quickshifter; logically thats not supposed to happen since it's a stand alone system, but hey you never knwo.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't feel bad mine is a little weird too, although never used a QS before. Mine cuts ign while downshifting and blipping the throttle (incredibly annoying) so it backfires and sounds bad. Also doesn't upshift smooth at all unless 100% throttle.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
i have annatori hm q/shift with speedo healer and no probs whatsoever! its the best unit i ever had..period..could be a dud! or a wire crimped or folded over got to be really carefull on how you route wires and keep away from fans!

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have annatori hm q/shift with speedo healer and no probs whatsoever! its the best unit i ever had..period..could be a dud! or a wire crimped or folded over got to be really carefull on how you route wires and keep away from fans!
I thought so too at first with the wire possibly getting damaged but when I removed it, I inspected everything and saw no breaks or signs of damage to the wire.

·
Registered
419 Posts
So it should shift smooth as butter just cruising around town not using the clutch? I don't think I have wires crimped on mine since it shifts perfect at higher load and RPM (although lever always takes a lot of force to upshift). Could it maybe have something to do with how the shift rod is connected to the QS? I have it threaded all the way into it and tight.

·
look for special phrase here
9,923 Posts
Never had a single problem with mine. I don't have a speedo healer though.
:lol have you even ridden the bike with it installed yet? I thought you had it installed and had to leave right away :dunno

·
ROWDY
12,172 Posts
Mine works as it is designed, It also cuts ign. on down shift that I hate most! but otherwise works fine. Where do you have your ground? Is it clean and tight! I grounded mine to the gas tank to frame bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,782 Posts
:lol have you even ridden the bike with it installed yet? I thought you had it installed and had to leave right away :dunno
I haven't taken it on the road yet but I did go through the gears, both up and down, numerous times while it was on the strand. :sneaky:vanish

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mine works as it is designed, It also cuts ign. on down shift that I hate most! but otherwise works fine. Where do you have your ground? Is it clean and tight! I grounded mine to the gas tank to frame bolt.
The company recommand you ground it on the battery, at first i grounded it on the main frame ground. I did a you tube video of my install. This system is so easy to install even a cave man can do it

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
I haven't taken it on the road yet but I did go through the gears, both up and down, numerous times while it was on the strand. :sneaky:vanish
:scared are you brave enough to run it through the gears on a stand? I would be shitting myself thinking "what if it jumps off"! :scared

·
look for special phrase here
9,923 Posts
:lol :shake

·
Premium Member
4,782 Posts
:scared are you brave enough to run it through the gears on a stand? I would be shitting myself thinking "what if it jumps off"! :scared
It's a Pitbull stand on lifters. Where's it gonna go? I also had jack stands under the pegs so there would have to be a major mishap for it to fall off. I like to live dangerously...:bash

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so far I'm getting some real solutions to my problem. I've been communication by PM and I'm getting a brand new unit that will be tested to make sure it works. When I receive it, I will do the install minus the install of the shift sensor, Annitori believe my problem stems from the shift section of the unit. If the unit operated without any flaws without the shift sensor installed, then I will install the sensor. If there is no issues then problem solved and I'm a happy customer, if the problem persist, then we will work together to determine what is causing the sensor to activate the kill at the shifter area. My only worries now is how long the turn around will take for me to get the system in hand.

·
Banned
5,515 Posts
OP, it would probably help to know which speed healer you are using. Speaking in an electronic environment, that could be causing an issue between the 2. Not likely, but there is a possibility.

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OP, it would probably help to know which speed healer you are using. Speaking in an electronic environment, that could be causing an issue between the 2. Not likely, but there is a possibility.
12 O'clockLabs SpeedoDRD

1 - 20 of 233 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.