Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to ship out my stock rims to get them anodized in red. Was wondering if you guys know of any good places.

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,086 Posts
Mac R1 said:
I am looking to ship out my stock rims to get them anodized in red. Was wondering if you guys know of any good places.
FYI: Before you send them out, get a representative sample of the final anodized color, this is for a couple reasons-

1. Not all anodizers use the same chemistry, and colors vary considerably from one anodizer to the other.

2. This is very noticable if you have other (red) anodized components in close proximity.

3. If you plan on adding after-market anodized accessories, you'll have a representative sample for color matching (harmony).

4. If you have a plan as to what other components you want anodized as well (same color), your better off having it all done at the same source, much less chance of color varience.

The above holds true for chrome plating (not all chrome is the same hue) :thumbup

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Transparent red powdercoat on a polished rim is,in my opinion,the only way to go;

Anodize will fade with time and since wheels are an item that we wash a lot (1st thing getting dirty on a bike) you"ll see the color disappear inside 2 years for sure.

Anodize offers no protection against rocks and such.

I wouldnt do it....

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
martinc said:
Transparent red powdercoat on a polished rim is,in my opinion,the only way to go;

Anodize will fade with time and since wheels are an item that we wash a lot (1st thing getting dirty on a bike) you"ll see the color disappear inside 2 years for sure.

I wouldnt do it....
:iamwithst

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Anodize will fade with time
Boiling the parts in water for about 1/2 hour will cure this problem. This is sealing the anodization. Unfortunately many companies just skip this step to save money.

·
smokin the road up on an 01 R1
1,726 Posts
can't you anodize your rims then have them powder coated clear?

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
martinc said:

I wouldnt do it....
What he said :thumbup

·
You think you can keep up?!
652 Posts
pkracer21j said:
You could do that. You would have to check to make sure the powder coat would bond to the anodized layer.

Might as well use transparent red powder coat.

·
21,086 Posts
pkracer21j said:
If you go for the clear powdercoat (it is available), make sure you specify urethane or polyester, they have excellent UV protection, hybrids & epoxy's do not, they will oxidize (chalk) with prolonged exposure to sunlight :thumbup

Any reputable powdercoater should have sufficient pretreatment capabilities, to insure coating adhesion, I stress the word "Reputable" :yesnod

·
21,086 Posts
rorlow said:
If you go for the clear powdercoat (it is available), make sure you specify urethane or polyester, they have excellent UV protection, hybrids & epoxy's do not, they will oxidize (chalk) with prolonged exposure to sunlight :thumbup

Any reputable powdercoater should have sufficient pretreatment capabilities, to insure coating adhesion, I stress the word "Reputable" :yesnod
Here's something else you should consider when contemplating the above, your cost savings are not going to insure it will be less expensive than buying a set of good used (or new) aftermarket wheels.

Your going to be paying for 2 seperate operations, more than likely at 2 seperate metal finishers, and incuring setup charges at each, as well as shipping to each, and facing possible loss of components. This could drag out for monthes to get a completed set of rims.

IMO your much further ahead buying a set of aftermarket wheels (already anodized/powdercoated) used, and/or new. Besides the obvious weight savings, they will be done much better, because the manufacturers source will have the proper setup to run that particular component :thumbup

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice. I will look into getting a set of used rims or just powdercoat the stock ones. Action Powdercoat, which I found on this forum, is close to my house and only charge around $250 for powdercoating.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Would any reputable company offer to anodize wheels? Is the material not unsuitable due to its grain structure and magnesium content?

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
Would any reputable company offer to anodize wheels? Is the material not unsuitable due to its grain structure and magnesium content?
:dundun: umm, a 7 year bump to ask that?:ncont:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts