Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· My R1 flys
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a coolant flush on my 2003 R1. The coolant that I drained was purple as hell. I asked the guy I bought it from about it since he was the original owner and he said it must have come from the dealer like that because he didn't do a flush on it. Any ideas? I'm thinking engine ice or royal purple purple ice.
Would like to keep running what ever was in there since it ran cool even in hot ass TX summer.

· The Sharpcooter Shooter
143 Posts
Doing a coolant flush on my 2003 R1. The coolant that I drained was purple as hell. I asked the guy I bought it from about it since he was the original owner and he said it must have come from the dealer like that because he didn't do a flush on it. Any ideas? I'm thinking engine ice or royal purple purple ice.
Would like to keep running what ever was in there since it ran cool even in hot ass TX summer.
im in galveston just south of you and if it was purple chances are your right in your assumptions. Engine ice or royal purple ice. id go with engine ice if i were you!

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
Yeah that's what I said. Do you think there are dealers that run engine ice when they set up the bikes? Good thing is the coolant was really clean
The dealer filled my bike with engine ice a couple years back during the repair after my first wreck.

I've been using it every since.

· Premium Member
12,696 Posts
Cool thanks guys. I'll prolly go with engine ice. Royal purple says not to mix with distilled water or it will create corrosion.
In January, I removed the engine from the frame, removed the radiator and replaced all my coolant hoses with Samco hoses and I was amazed with how clean my coolant system is. I flushed the entire system with water and it all came out clean.

Rubbed some of the old coolant on my hands and no slim film what so ever.

I'm sold on Engine Ice forever.

· The Sharpcooter Shooter
143 Posts
Cool thanks guys. I'll prolly go with engine ice. Royal purple says not to mix with distilled water or it will create corrosion.
We fill bike with engine ice at my shop as well. and if im not mistaken you cant or shouldnt mix anything with engine ice either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.